Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question, probably been asked before, but here goes...

Can an ARP (or equivalent) head stud kit be installed without pulling the heads, or is pulling the heads necessary?

My truck is a 96 PSD 7.3L, CCLB, automatic.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Can be done 1 at a time without pulling the heads...

·
Registered
80 Posts
if your gonna put the money into head studs get 2 $25 gaskets and just pull the heads and replace the gaskets its insurance and keeps you from having to dig into there again

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pass. side by the heater box is a pain gotta break the heater box in half. And am pretty sure u gotta loosen the motor mounts take the driver side ones out and lift the driver side a little to clear the fire wall. And dont touch the gaskets the old melted on ones that are on there will hold more boost with studs then new ones. Unless u go and get the good 400 dollar ones from swamps.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
And dont touch the gaskets the old melted on ones that are on there will hold more boost with studs then new ones.
:whs: I agree with that & many people have proven it over the years with the 7.3L

Metzman, I started a thread on PSA asking about cab-on stud install with some good info in it. You should check it out_ Click here for link

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:whs: I agree with that & many people have proven it over the years with the 7.3L

Metzman, I started a thread on PSA asking about cab-on stud install with some good info in it. You should check it out_ Click here for link
I'll check this out, very good info...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel a need to build my 7.3 coming and before I jump in wanted to gather some info. Studs will be the next upgrade after I finish my intercooler install.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I did not need to do anything with the motor mounts when I did mine. Split the heater box and in the front drivers side the AC pump and bracket had to come off the get to the front corner you will have to ding the fire wall heat sheld to get the back corner out to. Might as well do the valve springs while your at it.. Put rags in the head drain back holes in case you drop one of the rocker arm balls, 

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cratos I'm looking at your build-up and the list of parts your running is exactly the direction I am heading. Curious what you think of your truck and how it works? Do you daily drive it? Ever run it on a dyno, i'd guess your right in the hunt for for 500HP?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Drive it all the time. And pull a GN @12,500 lbs. drive it every day the key is the right programing for your chip to do what you want it to. do dyno close. so no real #'s prob 450 ish

·
Registered
435 Posts
I did my studs one at a time with the engine in and had to loosen the motor mounts & jack up each side. If you do it with the engine in, a few old blankets to lay on helps... the ribs take a beating. As other have said, might as well do the valve springs while you're at it. I did pushrods & valve steam seals too.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I like my top sider creeper for working up top :)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
BTS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts