Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a coolant leak for awhile now, it has been puking out the degas bottle but has not been over heating. my oil looks fine an theirs no noticable rise in my oil level. Pulled my egr valve awhile back it looked dry but the bottom of my intake looked a little damp. and i have looked everywhere for more coolant leaks and cant find any? one day my coolant level will be over the minimum mark and the next my tank will be dry.. it fluctuates quite a bit. where is my colant going?

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Are you blowing any white smoke out the exhaust?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
well no.. not eveytime but its always on somewhat level ground. Their is no oil from what i can tell mixing with the coolant though it could use flushing.
The truck sits nose down unless you installed a leveling kit. If you change the level of where you are parked you will get a different result. Check it in the same spot a few times. Cold and hot will give you different results. Cap off will allow the hoses to contract and raise the fluid level.

So it will move around.

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck sits nose down unless you installed a leveling kit. If you change the level of where you are parked you will get a different result. Check it in the same spot a few times. Cold and hot will give you different results. Cap off will allow the hoses to contract and raise the fluid level.

So it will move around.
No theirs not a leveling kit. I just put a new cap on it an havent noticed the puking anymore. But what about the fluid i am losing? If it was a blown head gasket would the trucks temperature overheat or fluctuate?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Is your truck marking its territory when you park it and leaving any coolant on the ground?

Mine is leaking from the hose between the egr cooler and oil cooler. I just found out recently the orange (older version) hose I have is prone to leaking, the newer blue hose is supposed to be better.

Not sure on where the puking is coming from though. Most places can check your coolant for hydrocarbons (exhaust in the coolant) to see if its an external leak or not but this doesn't seem to be and end all test, mine passed but it still pukes somehow.

New cap on mine stopped the puking for about a week or two. Mine also doesn't overheat and the coolant and oil temps always stay within 5 degrees of each other once the truck is up too temp.

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your truck marking its territory when you park it and leaving any coolant on the ground?

Mine is leaking from the hose between the egr cooler and oil cooler. I just found out recently the orange (older version) hose I have is prone to leaking, the newer blue hose is supposed to be better.

Not sure on where the puking is coming from though. Most places can check your coolant for hydrocarbons (exhaust in the coolant) to see if its an external leak or not but this doesn't seem to be and end all test, mine passed but it still pukes somehow.

New cap on mine stopped the puking for about a week or two. Mine also doesn't overheat and the coolant and oil temps always stay within 5 degrees of each other once the truck is up too temp.
No i cant see any leaks its not leaving any spots on the ground or anyhting. My leak may have been just where its comming out the degas bottle. Im worried its getting into my oil but wouldnt my coolant show oil in it too if it were getting in my motor

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its puking the coolant out then that is one thing. But then you said the level fluctuates. Are you filling it back up or what?
i have filled it back up a couple times yes.. but not here recently it has stayed below the minimum mark and hasnt moved. so i just left it, its seems when i add more coolant it just takes it away again.

·
Registered
853 Posts
if you over fill these, it will get puked out. i think there is a tsb or ssm for the new max fill level being the min line on the tank, but it only applies to the old molded in max and min lines. on the sticker type tanks, the fill levels should be correct.

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you over fill these, it will get puked out. i think there is a tsb or ssm for the new max fill level being the min line on the tank, but it only applies to the old molded in max and min lines. on the sticker type tanks, the fill levels should be correct.
Well the old molded markings would be mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts