Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 6.0 with 156000 miles. Its runs great. Engine has no leaks. With the miles slowly climbing, how important is it for me to install these?
I keep the oil and filters changed, fuel filter...ect Just want it to last till I roll the wheels off.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
DON'T TOUCH IT.... someone from ford will be right out to burn it for you. Seriously though if you want to keep it until the wheels fall off, and you havent had any problems up until this point, leave it alone. did you ever hear the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it"?

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
:whs::whs: Yea for sure. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Lucky devil, must have had one of those AM Tuesday build motors. Built after the weekend hang over and well before quitting time on payday. Took their time on that one.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
If you're running stock power, I wouldn't touch the heads at all. I would still do an EGR delete, it will only help. A coolant filter is a good idea too if you don't already have one.

My buddy purchased an 05 6.0 with 170k on it at the beginning of this year. He got an SCT and a 5" straight pipe on it now, runs it hard and it's still holding up great. There are some good 6.0's out there... just few and far between.

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only things that I have done to it is a Superchips program and 4" exhaust, no converter, and no muffler. If I tow heavy, I remove the Performance and install the tow program. With no gauges, I have no clue where the EGT and boost are running. But I am sure its no where near a SCT program?:ford:

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're running stock power, I wouldn't touch the heads at all. I would still do an EGR delete, it will only help. A coolant filter is a good idea too if you don't already have one.

My buddy purchased an 05 6.0 with 170k on it at the beginning of this year. He got an SCT and a 5" straight pipe on it now, runs it hard and it's still holding up great. There are some good 6.0's out there... just few and far between.
I agree the EGR delete is the way to go for the longevity of the engine. I am gonna break into the diesel world and do this myself. Glad I found this Website! Always a ford man...Always will be!

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
The superchips is probably less power and still less safe than an SCT, ESPECIALLY on the transmission. I'd get rid of that thing ASAP.

If you still plan on running a programmer, get an SCT, get some gauges, and get some headstuds.

If you do a lot of towing you will like the aggressive towing tunes that Eric @ Innovative diesel makes.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Ive got 140,000 right now on my truck with just SCT street tune on, air intake, exhaust, electric clutch fan and thats it. Its held up so far but i also plan on doin studs, egr delete, gauges and tranny sometime in the near future

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the Info! Gonna definately do the EGR delete. New boost boots. Studs will be last. Would love to get an SCT tune from Eric, but not in the Longevity budget. I need to check into the superchips transmission issue MduB707 spoke of. It seems to shift smooth with the Superchips?

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Sell the superchips on ebay or something, and put that money towards a used SCT X-cal2 or something on here, then just buy a tune at a time from Eric. Start with a street tune. It's about 400rwhp and still safe to tow up to 10klbs. If you keep running the superchips, the SCT SHOULD be in your longevity budget.

What about a coolant filter? It's $120 and will save the oil cooler from clogging.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Gauges are really cheap too, i would definetly invest in these, that way if something does happen you can actually see what happens.

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mdub707, I like that idea. I am sure I could get 150.00-200.00 for the superchips. I still have the original box and papers. Will check on the coolant filter!

·
Banned
844 Posts
Dieselsite has a really good coolant filter...i want that as a early christmas present :ford:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a used sight-unseen-at-auction a 2005 F350 with the 6.0l. It had 112k on the clock. It drove fine on the way home. Went to the dealer and got warranty work info. That was Sept 09. From the year, it has 125k, egr delete, SCT tuner (Innovative Diesel), by-pass filters for oil and coolant. I had to get the egr delete put in as the cooler broke and I burned off the coolant. At the same time, I added coolant and oil by-pass filter systems.
The biggest things about the 6.0 is the oil, fuel, and coolant. You need to maintain great oil so by-pass filters use a different medium to get down to 1-3microns rather than the stock filter of 15 microns. Getting the oil analyzed with the by-pass system will prolong the requirement of change. As the injectors are hydraulically powered from the oil and electronically fired, good clean oil is necessary to maintain good operating injectors. With the coolant, the castings leave residue in the passages. The by-pass filters are designed to filter out the debri. This maintains internal coolers and the HPOP to be non-clogged as well as the water pump. The injectors are proned to bad fuel so keeping a strategic schedule on changing the filters is best. Motorcraft filters are recommended for the stock systems. Your by-pass systems will have their own filter and design.
With a egr delete, you are basically removing a heat source built into the engine, so temps will be lower. A tuner will be needed to remove the CEL on the dash when the egr is removed. Some get away with leaving the egr cooler in (just without exhaust getting in), some get away with pulling the valve but keeping it attached sitting on top of the engine, many use the kits and totally remove the egr cooler. With a tuner, many get custom tunes designed for the use of the truck. It does add life from my experience. My F350 is a dd and toter when I go wheeling, pulling a TJ on a 18' trailer. Really nothing in weight, some 6k maybe.
The basic stock air intake is acceptable for the more standard 6.0l. The exhaust could use some benefits with other additions added/removed from the engine.
My next mods is in the exhaust. I don't plan on the head studs as I'm not crazy with the tunes and pulling weight.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
do a search, it really depends on the shop and if its done right or just done.....

·
Banned
844 Posts
how much are studs to replace?
If you lived where Im at, its about $1500 to $2400 for studs plus egr delete plus rebuilt turbo.

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Superchips sold! SCT innovative tunes! Waaaaay more power and my fuel milage is even better. Driving on highways at 60mph is giving me about 20mpg on the Lie-o-meter! EGR delete, oil cooler O/H kit, New turbo boots, Gauges are on their way!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts