Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue-

I have an 04 with 80k miles on it and it is whistling from the coolant resevoir cap (I think).

Background-

The truck got an SCT with Innovative's X race tune at about
30k miles. At about 40k I was getting some serious puking and had ARP Studs intalled with and egr block off plate. At 75k, just prior to my 2nd factory turbo locking up, I started hearing a very strange whistling noise coming from under the hood. I thought it was the soon to be dead turbo crying out for help. My boost gauge would show 50 PSI at the end of third gear at WOT. I installed a VGTSR and on my road test I heard this noise again. Took it to a freind (Ford Diesel Tech) that did the studs for me, and he told me the noise was coming from my resevoir cap. He said that my head studs were likely leaking again. I have had to add a little bit of coolant over time, but I never noticed any puking. My freind told me to get the heads fixed again and "get a smaller damn tune"

Questions

Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone successfully retorqued head studs?
Is this tune making my truck eat turbos?
Does the 50 PSI sound possible or sound like a gauge problem?

Any other thoughts are appreciated

·
Banned
153 Posts
ARP are the problem ,there junk! My 2 cents.I only use H-11s and never have trouble.

·
Registered
772 Posts
No issues with my arps, most run them. Did you have the heads checked for warping or magnafluxed before you put them back on? you will never get a good seal if the head is not true to begin with

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the were checked for warpage but I seriously doubt the dealership would magnaflux anything.

·
Master of Disaster
68 Posts
Nothing wrong with my ARPS.....it dont matter which brand you use, its all about how they are installed. Need to be check for flatness by a machinist and milled down, not just checked with a straight edge. Then Magnafluxed for cracks. While mine were apart i had them go ahead and do 3 angle valve job and valve guides.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
i had this problem to. nothing againts erics tunes but thats where my problem came from. i had river city do my head gaskets and studs so i called them.josh sent me some new tunes and i havent pushed coolant since, and i cant tell a diff.in power. if you catch it in time it might seal it self up with having the multilayer gasket. also my other buddy has fireringed heads with studs and he was running innovatives tunes and he started pushing coolant to. i loved my innovative tunes but i didnt loved pushin coolant with studs. call river city and there make ur truck not a leaker

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
If you didn't have the heads decked and the studs installed right then yes you will still have issues.

Take it to a good shop that will pull the heads check them out and do it right then you wont have any issues again.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
The issue-

I have an 04 with 80k miles on it and it is whistling from the coolant resevoir cap (I think).

Background-

The truck got an SCT with Innovative's X race tune at about
30k miles. At about 40k I was getting some serious puking and had ARP Studs intalled with and egr block off plate. At 75k, just prior to my 2nd factory turbo locking up, I started hearing a very strange whistling noise coming from under the hood. I thought it was the soon to be dead turbo crying out for help. My boost gauge would show 50 PSI at the end of third gear at WOT. I installed a VGTSR and on my road test I heard this noise again. Took it to a freind (Ford Diesel Tech) that did the studs for me, and he told me the noise was coming from my resevoir cap. He said that my head studs were likely leaking again. I have had to add a little bit of coolant over time, but I never noticed any puking. My freind told me to get the heads fixed again and "get a smaller damn tune"

Questions

Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone successfully retorqued head studs?
Is this tune making my truck eat turbos?
Does the 50 PSI sound possible or sound like a gauge problem?

Any other thoughts are appreciated
Start checking the piping to the turbo. Too many pipes have ruptured around the flexible sections that at different times and heat levels will make different whistle noises. 50lbs of boost sounds high. Was that on the factory turbos? If so, you need to figure out what is spinning the hell out of it. Like a shorted EBP harness or sensor itself.

ARP are the problem ,there junk! My 2 cents.I only use H-11s and never have trouble.
Everyday I hear something retarded. And today it's happend earlier than usual. If you can't get an ARP stud to work, you are doing something wrong.

your two since is worthless...LOL there are probably three times as many trucks with arps than h11s..the one truck i have seen with h11s puked LOL
At least that many. How many times have ARP gone on backorder? Dozens, and every time they did H11s were always around.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
And get your heads decked, whether they say they look good or not.

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Start checking the piping to the turbo. Too many pipes have ruptured around the flexible sections that at different times and heat levels will make different whistle noises. 50lbs of boost sounds high. Was that on the factory turbos? If so, you need to figure out what is spinning the hell out of it. Like a shorted EBP harness or sensor itself.
Yes, the truck was indicating 50 LBS on a factory turbo but only when tuned with x race. I don't want this, even if it is accurate, for so many different reasons. That 50 pound air has got to be pretty damn hot in my truck and I doubt that my truck really likes that kind of cylinder pressure.

buy a new cap. its $10 at ford. see if that fixes anything. that is after you check the pipes like said above.
I really wanted to do this but I don't want to just put a bandaid on a more serious problem. I am thinking that if the truck has head gasket problems but I get it to stop making noise with a new cap, it might turn into an accidental out of sight out of mind situation.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts

Everyday I hear something retarded. And today it's happend earlier than usual. If you can't get an ARP stud to work, you are doing something wrong.

At least that many. How many times have ARP gone on backorder? Dozens, and every time they did H11s were always around.
LMFAO, that's true with the H11's..and look at how many 6.0's are studded with ARP's of course the failure rate will be higher then with H11's...some people need to use some simple common sense, prior to hitting the "submit reply" button.

And get your heads decked, whether they say they look good or not.

Slow down cowboy. Measure the head thickness first before loping off some iron.
:whs::whs:

Not all heads need to be decked and even if they do, you have to meet the minimal head thickness so your valves aren't slapping the pistons, if the heads need .00x off and they wont meet MT then you are gonna be sinking valves and such.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
Slow down cowboy. Measure the head thickness first before loping off some iron.
Well yeah, but that's not that important. LOL

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts