Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again fellas. This is a little more than HG's lol.

Well my new (to me) motor didn't last too long dammit. Oh well, is what it is.

Symptoms were a crapload of smoke from the ex, held oil pressure fine. When I stopped I got a nice puddle of oil / antifreeze mix on the ground from an ex drain hole for the stack.

Really hoping that's what it was. While it's apart I will be doing some studs, HG's, pushrods, maybe new valve springs and having my injectors upgraded a bit.

When doing the HG's is there anything super important I need to do as far as prep is concerned? Head surfaces and block surfaces? Other than making sure they are really clean that is.

That and any other words of wisdom you guys might offer is always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks yet again

Jay

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Have them trued up, them look into cometics gaskets , make sure you done remove too much where piston /valve clearence is a prob. Talk more with people whohave rebuilt or machined a few blocks.
There are some mods to the oil pickup and jets that can be done.

Someone like powersmoke junkie, mart, or machinist may have more usefull input.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
How much power are you building for? 5oo or less

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Have heads vacuum tested and flattened. Clean deck but be careful around cylinders and coolant holes. Stock head gaskets with studs is what I'd recommend.

I don't know the backstory but 7.3 headgasket failures are few and far between abduction never on stock trucks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Southmike. I'm stopping at 238's, but was also told that for the money 250's would be fine as well and are the same in cost. Not looking for any certain HP #'s. Just want a lil more, but really want to upgrade my current injectors due to possible poor quality. Thanks much for the help.

Marty. Thanks for the input. Is it hard to find a shop that can do vacuum testing and flattening?

The guy I got the motor from pulled and re installed one head. Any guesses which one? Lol!

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
One with scratches on the bolts and tape on the harnesss

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Southmike. I'm stopping at 238's, but was also told that for the money 250's would be fine as well and are the same in cost. Not looking for any certain HP #'s. Just want a lil more, but really want to upgrade my current injectors due to possible poor quality. Thanks much for the help.

Marty. Thanks for the input. Is it hard to find a shop that can do vacuum testing and flattening?

The guy I got the motor from pulled and re installed one head. Any guesses which one? Lol!
Well I didn't know the backstory but it sounds to me like the person who installed that head did not do it correctly or you put power to it too soon. I usually suggest 15k miles at or below 300 RWHP if you use stock gaskets/studs. Finding a shop to vacuum test the valves shouldn't be an issue. All you're doing is checking the seal. Alternately you could have the heads done with a valve job and install all new valves. It's all up to you.

238's and 250's cost the same. I'd do 250/100's... anybodies tunes over the internet can make them run clean as stock. It's one of my favorite injectors for guys who want a perfect street/tow truck. (Assuming a 64-66mm turbo is used).

If you want more power it's just a nozzle swap away but then sometimes they need more refined tuning. This has been my experience.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good to hear Marty. Thanks much for the help and info on getting it done right.

Jay

·
Registered
93 Posts
the cometics work good but not unless the the head and block are perfectly true and have a fine finish, for what your doin stockers would be a better choice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those don't look too good, I'll go with stockers. Thanks for the heads up on those.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
:(Those look more broke then broke in...

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Looks like you forgot a couple of studs there buddy.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Those were removed for picture clarity...

Ohh snap, looks like I can check my credit score instantly.......THANKS PSN!

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
I know lol.

·
Smell My Finger
1,029 Posts
Ok, quick question. I have a 95 motor out of a bus, and was hoping it wasnt to hard to swap the heads from my blown up 01 motor onto the 95. What is THE proper process to clean the heads and do the swap.

And on a side note, the 95 motor seems to have low compression. Could it be bad, or just from sitting in cold weather for sometime having an affect on it.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Too many variables. Is your PMR engine still together?

However you will need to swap cams and use super duty head gaskets.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So how much horse are the stockers rated at? Cuz im looking to buy a set of head gaskets for a motor im building. Its stock bottom end i did not have any machine work done, swapping to a more built set of heads. So ill just be bolting the heads right back on the block. Im looking to run 300s for injectors, and would like to make close to 600hp if i can. Would the cometic gaskets be the way to go with studs, or stockers and let them break in?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I would run stockers before Cometics.

FWIW, the first night I had my motor together with stock gaskets and studs I ran it up to 50psi, and it ran fine for a year (+65 psi) until my rod broke.

Next motor got the Cometics and H-11's and it took TWO 60psi runs to blow them.

Now using FireRings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts