Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have noticed that in a handful of post iv seen where guys are using the OEM head gaskets over the black onyx gaskets. What is the issue with the black onyx gaskets. I know a while back that was the so called best gasket to run when doing the job. And I tried to do a headgasket search on here but kept saying no results.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Use OEM head gaskets with ARP head studs. Make sure you ge the heads flattened. If they are not flat then you will have do head gaskets again.

After you get the engine back together do a coolant flush and use an ELC or EC-1 rated concentrated coolant with distilled water.

Browns diesel has ARP's the cheapest at $398.
6.0L Powerstroke Stud Kit

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use OEM head gaskets with ARP head studs. Make sure you ge the heads flattened. If they are not flat then you will have do head gaskets again.

After you get the engine back together do a coolant flush and use an ELC or EC-1 rated concentrated coolant with distilled water.

Browns diesel has ARP's the cheapest at $398.
6.0L Powerstroke Stud Kit
Not to be rude but I know all that, iv done a couple of these jobs. I was just wondering why oem gaskets vs the black onyx. Gaskets

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
The black onyx gasket isn't the right thickness.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they thicker or thinner? Because if the heads are machined for flatness I would think a slightly thicker gasket would be a good thing.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Yea there thinner. Not sure the spec between both though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry don't mean to jump in on ur thread but this mean I'm better of tossing the 20mm I believe black onyx gaskets that's come with mkm complete solutions kit nd getting the oem ones?

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Ya alot of kits come with the black onyx gaskets. Personally I have one side victor Heinz and the other oem still running strong. But the consensus around here alot of people will not use black onyx. Oem is better just like using oem oil and fuel filters aftermarket just doesn't build it within specs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya I understand what ya mean with aftermarket stuff just didn't start reading any of the horror stories till after I bought the kit of course.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
LOL that's usually how it ends up.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
here here...that's the story of my truck's life.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya iv used the victor heinz gakets also, with no issue. Do they have the same issues as the black onyx being to thin?

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
No more BO! They make you and your shop look like #### when your doing a truck over again and eating all the cost

·
Registered
61 Posts
OEM gaskets are 0.067 and Black Onyx are 0.057 , at least that's what my digital mic measures. So if you take the max. off the heads when they are machined and use the non OEM gaskets you are raising compression and most importantly valve to pistion clearance could become an issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know

·
Registered
51 Posts
jus pulled a set of black onyx off an o4 that failed ,cleaned it up and went with oem

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I understand why people would use the Victor (black onyx) gaskets, it's the cost. Now what I would like to know is the failures because of a inferior product or a poor installations. It is a shame that you cannot purchase OEM gaskets by themselves. You must pay for head bolts that are not going to be used since most people are installing ARP studs.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
there are several options when buying head gaskets from ford... the last kit I ordered, messing with their part numbers I stumbled upon, came with the head gaskets, an enitre upper engine gasket set, and BOTH the only style HPO feed tubes and the NEW updated two piece for wavy rails....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do yourself a favor and have the heads rebuilt and surfaced while they are off. This way they can cut the valve seats the same amount as they take off the surface. This will eliminate any piston to valve issues.

Also, when you machine any amount off off a flat cylinder head, it doesn't matter how much you take off, compression ratio if not affected. Only the deck surface, head gasket and piston will change compression ratio.

I have used a lot of the "Black Onyx" gaskets. I have only had one fail. Heads ended up being warped about .005" though so I know it got hot. Ever since that one though I have been using the OEM head gaskets.

My personal truck with 225/100's and a mismatched twin turbo setup that was making over 100 psi of back pressure and 1950 degrees on the dyno never hurt anything. And that was with the Black Onyx gaskets. :shrug:

Don't worry that setup is changed now........:doh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts