Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 1996 f250 7.3 bone stock, I ordered a new fuel pump for it because of fuel in the engine valley, but it ran pretty good. So the other night on my way home from my brother in laws, it started losing power like it was running out of fuel and eventually died. So I had my son pull me the rest of the way home. The next day I changed out the fuel pump and cleaned up the fuel bowl, and replaced all the lines. Replaced the fuel filter and filled the fuel bowl up about half way with fresh fuel. Took a bit of cranking, but it started up and ran and idled just fine......for about 10 minutes, then acted like it was running out of fuel and eventually died. Took the fuel bowl cap off and the fuel bowl barely had any fuel in it. So I filled halfway up again, and started it back up, same thing again. So then I thought that maybe there was a restriction in the fuel lines, i took off the fuel inlet line and blew it out with compressed air through both front and rear tanks. I could hear the air coming out the tanks because I took the caps off. Put everything back together, filled the fuel bowl halfway again, started it up and about 10 minutes later, same thing, acted like it was starved for fuel and died. Fuel bowl was empty. So my question is, does it usually take this much to get these pumps primed?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank or tanks that you are running on?

When you blew air through the line did you hear a bubbling like blowing into a straw in water or just the air?

These trucks are getting old enough and there are problems with the fuel pickups in the tanks. At times they will just fall off and other times them may just rot off or you could even have a crack in the pickup line above the fuel level in the tank.

You can try putting 5 gallons of diesel into the tanks and see what happens

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay....i think I figured it out. It was the fuel tank selector valve. It seemed to be working okay when I blew the lines out, but I guess it wasn't opening or closing fully to allow fuel to come through. I first transfered all the fuel remaining in the rear tank to the front tank and then made sure that the front was topped off. Filled the fuel bowl back up and started it up. About 8 minutes later, she died. But I noticed that the fuel gauge was reading empty, when before it was pretty accurate, that was my first clue that it was the selector valve. So....i filled the bowl back up, started her back up and went and tapped and wiggled everything on the selector valve. And lo and behold when I looked at the fuel level, it was reading full. And now the truck runs and starts great. I'm hoping I didn't damage the new fuel pump by running it dry so many times, I never moved the truck in that condition.

So now, I have a new problem, but I think it will be an easy fix. The contraption sticking off the side of the fuel bowl, ford calls it a fuel filter element, well i took that off and all apart to clean. The part that has the little barrell shaped hunk of steel wool filter is now leaking. Im guessing reusing the old o ring was not a good idea. So I'm gonna have to take that part back off and put a new oring there.

The selector valve from Motorcraft is about $300, but i have found one priced at about $83 elsewhere on the web. Has anyone ever used the cheaper one with any luck? I will spend the extra money if needed, but was just wondering if anyone had any issues with the cheaper one, because thats a heck of a deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts