Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BLCKOUT
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got everything installed, works great, a lot louder than I expected!!

I accidently used the wrong 1/4" tubing, was rated for 55psi. The line busted in the middle of the night causing the compressor to come on and it ran all night and killed my truck. It is normally fine bc everything is sealed and and there are no leaks at all so the compressor never comes on unless I hit the horns.

My question is, I need some sort of low pressure switch so if something happens again and a line busts for some reason the switch will automatically turn power to the compressor off if the pressure gets to low, say around 5-10psi.

Any ideas?

·
Sleep well my brothers
2,063 Posts
Not sure about a switch but I'm sure there is something like that around. You might want to consider have your compressor hooked up to my ignition, that way it won't run unless the key is on. I have mine & my wife's hooked up like this.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Yes you need to hook it up to the ignition and have a switch for the pump... that way the only way it will turn on is with the truck running!

I am surprised the pump isn't toast!

·
BLCKOUT
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you need to hook it up to the ignition and have a switch for the pump... that way the only way it will turn on is with the truck running!

I am surprised the pump isn't toast!
How can I figure out which wire is the ignition wire?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yep, you'll want to use a key on hot wire to allow the pressure switch to click the compressor on.
I would rec. installing an on/off switch as well.

May I ask what gauge wire you are using to power the setup?

Only reason I ask is that a buddy of mine was working on a truck that the compressor wouldn't shut off on (wired the same, directly to the batt) and he couldn't figure it out since it was building pressure. The owner used too small a gauge of wire that fried somewhere so the pressure switch and solenoid valves for the horns were no longer working. He solved it by disconnecting the power wire since he didn't want to deal with rewiring it :hehe:

And like Layson said.....the comp. was probably very very hot from running that long.

·
BLCKOUT
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed a on/off switch for the compressor so I am able to manually turn it off, tomorrow Im gonna go get a relay and use the ignition wire to turn the relay on and power the compressor.

The compressor had 14ga wire coming out of it, I used 12ga since I had to run so far from the battery to the tool box to compensate for voltage drop.

I still need to know which wire is the correct ignition wire to hook to?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
If I remember right the relay has one larger wire that goes directly to the battery.. and there is a smaller one that you can run under the dash. There is one fuse under the dash that is for accessories. You can wire it there. you might need to open your manual to find out which fuse it is.

Now you can have the horn switch wired hot all the time. but just not the pump...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
use a hobbs switch that is normally open up to 5 or 10psi and will close above that, like a low oil pressure switch most use on their fuel systems. just my .02

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Guys, Glad you have your problem solved. When I installed my set-up. I ran switched fused 12v line to pressure switch to control the comp coming off and on. And can kill the power to it. Then I have the 12v coming from factory horn to solenoid. It works fine. Soon to be switched out for a actual train valve. I have two five gallon slim line tanks and two viar 480c's And that is going to soon changed to a Oasis compressor. It blows the K5La and Buell 4 chimes nicely. once again glad to hear you got your problem solved.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts