Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to track down a problem I've been having with my truck. It's been low on power lately and falls on it's face in the higher RPM's.

Things recently replaced are:

CPS - to fix a no start, finally got a spare!
ICP - fixed the no start issue
Fuel filter
In tank mod - Had crud in the pick up screen

Put the truck on the scanner and found p1211 and p0284 codes. I've never had the 1211 codes prior to this. Have had my chip since right before Jody took over. The p0284 is always showing up, when warm and cold. Truck seems to run good when it's not completely up to operating temp. Once warm, I can trip the 1211 code. Buzz test shows a pass condition.

I'm thinkin' I have an o-ring problem or a bad injector? The oil temp sure seems to make a difference in how it runs. Am I on the right track here? I hope so. Been wanting injectors for awhile now. Then I 'll have a valid excuse to tell the wife. Just don't want to spend the dough and have it not be fixed. I'll have issues splainin' that one. I've wanted injectors for 105,000 miles now. I hope it's time!

·
Limp Member
147 Posts
Just throwing some stuff out there for you to check.

I would dig into to the P0284, that one is trying to tell you something.

P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault.

I would replace the UVCH under valve cover harness on both sides of the truck. They aren't too bad to do, and they cost only about $40 per side. While you have the valve covers off pay close attention to how each injector squirts oil. Get the little clips that Ford sells that pin the harness connector in place when you replace the harness.

Consider rebuilding your IPR as well.

Usually when you have a bad oring injector YOU KNOW IT. They smoke like a freight train on fire. You could have a dead injector, so watch how they squirt oil.

This could also be an IDM Injector Driver Module problem. I would consider that option last because of the expense. Check on ebay for a rebuilt IDM.

What all did you do when you dropped the tank? If you left something unhooked or if you have a cracked fuel line in the truck it could run like total crap, be down on power and possibly idle rough.

The EBPV is also a possibility, are you building good boost?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, I think the 0284 is trying to tell me somethin' too.

Is it even possible to have a good buzz test with a bad UVCH? I thought a good buzz test means the electrical side of the injector is working properly?

I have considered rebuilding the IPR but how would that correlate with the 0284 code? It makes sense for the 1211 code but I don't see how that would throw a 0284? I get the feeling I'm getting the 1211 code because of the 0284 problem.

When I dropped the tank I pretty much did the Hutch Mod using Guzzles directions. The truck ran well after doing that so I would have a hard time believing that would have something to do with it.

I can build about 24-25 psi of boost but once it gets there it falls off just as fast as it got there. It won't hold boost for very long.

Have not checked the EBPV.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I never threw a SES light, but when I did my intank mods, I was careless about my rubber hose routing. About 3 weeks after I made the mods, I was getting low power on higher RPMS and I could hear my fuel pump changing in sound. It ran awesome right after the mods.

My rubber fuel line became crimped and it wasn't allowing enough fuel @ higher RPM's. Might drop the tank again and check it all over. Look for a squished area where it could be pinched on the frame rail and tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts