Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been having some problems w/ my tranny lately and its really driving me nuts, so ive decided to bite the bullet and just have it rebuilt.

i talked to the guy im having build it and he told me he usually uses borg warner/ raybestose clutches for stock rebuilds but uses altos for his drag car.

truck is a CCLB 4X4 on 35's and 3.55 gears

so my question is, what should i have him put in mine? my truck is moslty stock (for now) and i dont tow all the time(although sometime i tow prity heavy) he said he'd use a heavy duty converter no matter what. im also having him install a transgo shift kit (4R100-HD2 Tugger is the part number)

should i have him use all alto clutches??

any specific brand TC??

keep the stock valve body and just add shift kit??

any other parts im missing??

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
i'm just going to say that normally a trans builder would be familiar with the pitfalls of the e40d/4r100 and should know what it takes to make them last.

I'd look into john woods, bts, racerx, di, and a couple others for a rebuild. I just called bts and they are booked for installs until 2nd week of april, racerx has lots of good reviews also and always answers the phone and is very helpful. I believe racerx even sells a full rebuild kit, might be your best option if your builder isn't sure what it needs to survive.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can order a tranny from BTS and have it installed or do it yourself if you're handy. He stands behind his work 100%, I know this from experience. Real nice guy and place to visit if you have the time too. I agree with zilla68, someone who is going to build you a strong tranny should already know what it takes to do so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked at the BTS trannys but there 1100 miles away. i dont have a problem installing it myself , so install is not a prob. as long as he'll still back it up w/o a shop installing it...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I drove down there after my truck blew the original, and then the second transmission that was replaced under warranty. The dealer had an in house mechanic rebuild the transmission which concerned me, I was expecting a new transmission as a warranty replacement. When that transmission failed outside the warranty period I drove to Brian (I'm further away than you) and 6 hours later my transmission was cleaned and rebuilt, I got to watch it happen. He showed me how he beefs them up and showed me what caused mine to fail. The dealer mechanic had installed the second gear sprag backwards. Brian has the transmission machined to accept an additional set of clutches, replaces all aluminum planetary gears with steel and has the torque convertors built tighter to his specifications. He also plays with the pressures to give firmer shifts.

My BTS tranny failed outside his written warranty period and I called him about it, he immediately sent a replacement with no questions asked, along with a freight order for the core. When I drained the fluid from the bad one, I found a small broken spring (like you'd see in a "Bic Clic" pen) and a tiny ball bearing in the pan. I never found out if this was why it failed but that was the only thing I had seen that was bad.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
4500 I believe, free installation if you go to him

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, he installed the first BTS I had. It took me 22 hours to drive down there. He's got an arrangement with a local motel that's cheap and clean. The area around his shop seems to be a fishing resort so if that's your thing you can make a vacation of it. I installed the replacement myself, it wasn't that hard to do. Haven't had a problem since, it's on a work truck that tows an 8000lb trailer and plows more times than not. You can feel the difference the first time out, the tighter torque converter makes a big difference. His written warranty is 2 years I think, but there seems to be an unwritten lifetime warranty. Mine was outside 2 years, a friend of mine who drag races his truck which is maxed out on horsepower has blown a couple and Brian made good on them. These were clearly used beyond their intended use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, think im just gonna have the local shop do it this time and start saving my pennys for a BTS down the rd. I got almost 6 yrs of prity hard beating out of the last one from him (stock rebuild) behind the 460 then swaped into the 7.3. hoping to start a better payin job in the spring when the weather breaks so ill start a fund for that then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts