Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
didnt think about that does it make a difference? whats the norm?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Somewhere I remember someone saying it may be better to have the weight balanced with an eek more on the pistons....something to the effect of having stored energy, good for pullin etc . Any truth to that dave or anyone.

·
Registered
745 Posts
How much extra weight is the machinist taking into account for the weight of the oil being sprayed onto the bottom of the pistons?
Wow i would have never thought of that. But does it matter? Normaly from my understanding they just make all the hard parts the same. I would think that would be inconsistant and nothing you could control. I may be very wrong School me.

·
green member
297 Posts
How much extra weight is the machinist taking into account for the weight of the oil being sprayed onto the bottom of the pistons?
I went from PMRs to factory forged after finding a complete donor engine since the first set from E-rape had one with the wrong cap and one that was bent. The two replacements had small ends that would require taking 20-22 g's off to be able to hit the target weight. The replacement "matching" set from the donor engine had very few grams removed to hit the new target weight for this set.;)

Since the set was out of a different engine I couldn't check what the "over balance" was with these rods. Didn't want to pay to check what the PMRs were balanced at. I thought about what David's question is getting at but decided to go zero balance. If funds and time had allowed I would have checked the PMR balance and tried to lighten the oil compensation but not omit if there was one just because lighter is better right?

David have you done this research? And are you saying that the oil is why you think these engines are balanced the way they are from the factory?

BTW....my ole lady says thanks for sharing the napkin.:D

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can't imagine there'd be a way to evenly account for the cooling oil? I'd think a different amount would probably accumulate on each slug, depending on conditions....
Or else it equals out somehow.... Never really thought about it. Huh.
Interesting though that a 12,500RPM 4-cylinder with oil cooling ends up spinning buttery smooth all the way up to redline....

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Interested to learn more on this subject esp as it relates to factory balance.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts