Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my truck today and I have power but truck would not start. It would just click. I cycled the key about 10 times and it fired up. I had the same problem Tuesday but as soon as we hooked jumper cables up it started right up. Any ideas or suggestions? My batteries are both brand new

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
Check that battery cables are tight. If batteries are new, the connection could be loose. Also, double check that you are getting enough voltage to your starter. Anything under 10v and you will never get it to crank. Starter relay is a good place to start too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked everything. Now last night I plugged my truck in and this morning it started without a problem. It sat at work about 8 hours and was doing the same thing, I cycled the key about 5 times and it started

·
Resident Idiot
661 Posts
I would guess you need a new starter. You will just have to crawl under there next time it is doing it and take some voltage readings to verify.

·
81 Posts
Make sure you are getting ample voltage to starter. Anything less than 10 volts and it won't even begin to turn. It could be a bad connection from the battery to the starter. If it's an 02 or later, the solenoid will be on the starter. Double check to make sure you have three wires there. They can get worked loose and fall off if they weren't tightened very well. Your large lead running from the battery should be reading the same voltage as your battery. If you experience a large voltage drop, you need to replace that cable. If it is registering the same voltage, take it off the starter, and clean the lug and the post to make sure there is no corrosion. I believe it is a 17mm socket if I'm not mistaking. I believe the ignition wire (small wire) is an 8mm. I would double check it also. If those are nice and snug, the starter may be bad. They can develop "dead" spots in them that won't register when voltage is applied.

You could also have a failing ignition switch or worn out key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing was happening to my buddy's dodge, it was the lead to the starter had rotted away but couldn't tell until we pulled on it. Sometimes it would be sitting just right and would start then sometimes not.

·
81 Posts
Mine wasn't even there. It was completely off the post. It was sitting close enough that it would just arc over to the post and fire up until it arced so many times that the lead was no longer there. I had to tie into it with a bit of wire and replace the last foot or so with some good copper. Replaced the starter and works like a champ! I have only owned the truck about a month. I believe the previous owner gave it up for this reason. It saved me about 3,000 off of list though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts