Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Hauling with any transmission in OD harm the tranny? My boss says lock out the OD when Im pulling with the work truck! is it just a preference of his or will it do damage! granted its a doge! But i never do this with my truck! Just wondering what you guys think???

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I always tow in od until it starts hunting (shifting in & out of od) Then turn it off till you can run it without the hunting.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would always tow with it in OD, but when I would feel it starting to lug a bit I would hit the button. Mine never got the chance to start hunting

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Same here. If it kicks down I'll lock it out. I see no benefit of running the interstate turning 2700 rpm.

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would always tow with it in OD, but when I would feel it starting to lug a bit I would hit the button. Mine never got the chance to start hunting
Well, dont know if this is normal but with my truck all i got is a muffler delete and DIY intake i have a about 5,000 lb load and on HWY 87 going to four peaks its got some hills that has me flooring it and i accelerate and it goes pretty slowly. i take it out of overdrive quite a bit and i only go about 25 miles away from home. But also i see that the tranny with OD on keeps it to about 2500 RPM without going into 4th for awhile. These hills here are horrible.

BTW i would like to know if it is normal for the truck to be that slow.( not trying to get off the topic:ford:

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
I'd do what the boss tells me. It's his truck, not yours.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I'd do what the boss tells me. It's his truck, not yours.
+1 OR if you have a good working relationship show him what the owner's manual says. It says to haul in OD.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
+1 OR if you have a good working relationship show him what the owner's manual says. It says to haul in OD.
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: Who pays for the fuel bill and maintenance bill?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
daryl4412 u hit the nail on the head! I was just curious what u all would say on the subject! he pays the bills and I follow orders! just the way it is! and its a good working relationship! LOL! I was hoping that it wouldnt hurt anything by leaving it in OD!
Thanks for the opinions!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Well, dont know if this is normal but with my truck all i got is a muffler delete and DIY intake i have a about 5,000 lb load and on HWY 87 going to four peaks its got some hills that has me flooring it and i accelerate and it goes pretty slowly. i take it out of overdrive quite a bit and i only go about 25 miles away from home. But also i see that the tranny with OD on keeps it to about 2500 RPM without going into 4th for awhile. These hills here are horrible.

BTW i would like to know if it is normal for the truck to be that slow.( not trying to get off the topic:ford:
First thing I would do is put a 4" exh on it and remember those 35's are killing your gearing assuming you have 3.73's. I can pull Camp Verde hill southbound and the pulls on 260 from Camp Verde up the rim @ 50-55 mph with a 12K+ toyhauler. Make it breathe. I also have stock 235/85/16's.

Sorry for the derail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts