Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays!

I am thinking about getting a Lance camper and will also be towing a boat. Weight of the camper is ~3500 lbs and the boat is ~3000 lbs.

I currently own a 2004 6.0. I have AFE air intake, ARP studs, new heads and head gaskets (yep puked at 120K miles...), EGR delete, and MBRP cat back exhaust.

Based on research that I've been doing on the forum, I was thinking of going with SCT tuner, Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler, and Spearco intercooler. I would also like to get some gauges to monitor temperatures, but unsure of what I need.

Forgive me if these are dumb questions, but I don't have the level of understanding as the rest of the folks here.

Best,
Steve

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
trans temp
EGT temp is a good start

SCT with a good tow tune and jake brake like gearheads .

if you want a lot of gauge options with plug and play ease look at the Edge monitors

you don't need the BPD oil cooler or intercooler IMHO for that towing but airbags may be nice ?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You could get away with towing it stock, and the truck would barley feel it. Like Zmann said, the intercooler isnt really needed.

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
You would be fine stock. Guages would be good and if a tuner comes with them that's a bonus. Air bags and a heavy sway bar in the rear make handling with the slide in campers much nicer. Depending on how far your camper extends off of the back of your truck you may need a hitch extention. Superhitch makes some pretty stout stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the feedback.

Again, sorry for the dumb questions, but when would the oil cooler and intercooler be needed? For heavier loads? My understanding with diesels is to keep temperatures as low as possible. I had a VERY sick feeling two years ago when I hauled a trailer camper to Manitoba and my head gaskets went out... I don't want to go through that again!!! I now understand what happened, and the flaws with the 6.0, and hopefully fixed that.

I was told that my load would be too heavy for my truck (by a non diesel owner). I plan on running from KY to Manitoba, Canada for hunting trips. I would be hauling the camper and a 24 foot boat (~3000 lbs).

Thanks,
Steve

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
6500 lbs for this truck is a non issue IMHO
the BPD oil cooler is never needed but it will circumvent future oil cooler blockages .. a coolant filter is also a good way to do this

as far as an aftermarket inter cooler??
a meth injection will do way more to lower EGT's

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hook it up and Drive away, just don't try to back up, at all, with a tandom. Don't ask me how I know........

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hook it up and Drive away, just don't try to back up, at all, with a tandom. Don't ask me how I know........
I'm pretty sure the Lance camper he is referring to is a slide in, so wouldn't be a tandem.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Lance camper he is referring to is a slide in, so wouldn't be a tandem.
A slide in that weighs 3500 lbs:eek: Even if it's a full ton dually he's over GVW

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had a 10' 6" Lance and towed a 20' boat behind my 1992 F-250 gas burner. The lance weighed closer to 4,000lbs when water tank was full and loaded for a trip. The boat and trailer were 5,000lbs.

I had air bags and extended my hitch four feet. Brakes and stability in any side wind was my biggest problems.

Power wise you will be fine. The problem will be the amount of abuse that the drive train and frame will be taking.

My frame cracked right above the air bag upper mount on both sides. My brakes in the summer would fade and the fluid would boil, I also warped the front rotors.

If you do this get the camper tie downs that attach to the frame not the ones that attach to the bumper and bed.

Trucks have come a long way since the early 90's, but a dually would do a better job at hauling and towing this load safely.

·
Registered
357 Posts
um so why would the advice of the non diesel owner be relevant to the capabilities of your truck? :) engine will do fine the rest of the chassis might be pretty heavy loaded

1 - 11 of 11 Posts