Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was posting in another forum about wipers etc and I realized some may possibly still be using the stock size windshield wiper blades. Its such an old mod I thought new owners or ones that were not around the net may not have realized or thought of it. The X comes with these dinky short wiper blades front and rear. You can simply upgrade to 24" up front and 18" int he rear and get a lot more clear windshield to see out of in the rain. There are no downsides to this upgrade. Well unless you count touching the antenna when you lift the wiper blade up to clean you windshield but it still easily lifts by it. They must have had a huge surplus of shorter blades when the X's came thru the plant and figured it was a way to cut some costs. Who knows.:doh:

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
What size are the stockers? I know the sds have 20" and I kept the 20 on the passenger side and 22 on the driver.

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
24" bosch wipers. Best ones I have run by far.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM IIRC 18 or 20 front and 16 rear.

24 fit perfectly on the front (both sides) and 18s on the rear.

Why restrict any of your view you do not have to? IMO you shoudl always run the longest wipers that will fit your windows. I am not talking about ones that would hit the edges etc but ones that are all on glass and do not cause any cross hit issues between left and right.

It is a noticeable differnce the first time you change over. I actually did it infront of the store in the middle of the rain so I got a very good before and after view.

IIRC going from 20 to 24 across the whole window is gaining something like over 2 sq ft of window swipe. The rear is less but that is also where you are really limited so its actually more % wise.

With the larger cross over area in the front the over lap takes off much more water or whatever with each pass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish I had read this before I installed my new ones. I went up to 21 or 22s and there is still so much room left on the windshield.

·
1,079 Posts
I tried for 24" Icons a couple years ago. They only had one on the rack and I bought it. I still have one stocker. Glad it doesn't rain much here. My wife wouldn't be able to see.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
Here's the problem with installing larger blades,...they don't work for crap in heavy rain for long.

The tension of the stock wiper arm is barely strong enough for a stock size wiper blade....yes...a larger blade will clear a larger portion of the windshield...but is basically useless during a hard rain,...because the arm can't put enough pressure over the longer blade.

Sure a larger will work 1000x times better in a mist or light rain,...but you'll be screw in a heavy rain,..especially at night.

I don't need to see every square inch out of the windshield...so for better "clearing abilities"...I use a 2" smaller than stock blade...which put more surface pressure on the windshield, the arm moves faster due to the even that small of a weight loss, clears it quicker, and is better overall throughout at types of rain or snowfall.

BTW- I use a 15" or smaller blade when I go offroading, and it clears the windshield perfectly when I get mud on it.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That has not been my results. Not at all doubting your results either. On road I have been thru some crazy rains and mine clean just fine. Maybe my springs are not as weak as yours. Maybe your wiper springs were made where our Excursion leaf springs were Mexico. :poke::pointlaugh: Being funny but seriously maybe that is the differnce? :confused: Now pushing mud and grime from OR makes sense to me as I had that issue in other vehicles. Another thought is the ICON blades are those ones that are mono rail and curved to fit the windshield which are the ones I use IIRC. Pretty bad I can not be sure those are what I have. Will have to check :doh: But anyways mine work fine.

Off top Tank

Are your tires 41x14.5x20 Radial IROKs? Looking at going to the 40x14.50x20 SS-M16 wanting something a bit more highway friendly.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
Off top Tank

Are your tires 41x14.5x20 Radial IROKs? Looking at going to the 40x14.50x20 SS-M16 wanting something a bit more highway friendly.
Yes I have the 41x14.5x20 Radial IROKs.....the SS-M16's will be better on the road, and give you longer life than the IROK's

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks that is what I was hoping for as its about 70/30 road to off driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts