Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on H&S website that trucks that are deleted needs to have the EGR valve and butterfly valve unplugged. Has everyone done this? I have about 2500 miles deleted and I just unplugged. You'd think they would put that in the instructions

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
The new dude
195 Posts
Not sure why you would need to unplug it if it is turned off. Our truck with a Spartan is still plugged in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know man. How does your truck with a spartan monitor egts? Ours uses the block off plate with an egt probe. I am curious of yours does the same?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me if it's turned off its not going to function anyway but there must be some reason. Idk

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
my friends had a h&s(running dpf off tunes) & dpf delete installed by a shop called krazy house customs, they unplugged his egr. after 5,000 miles i towed it to the dealer when it started running real ruff. it neededd to have the egr system replaced due to it being melted

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your saying that we should unplug it or leave it plugged in? That's weird that would make it run rough. I have the h&s egt kit which has the block off plates if that matters. Thanks for your input guys

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
Ford said the egr was melted, idk i didnt open the hood

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
There is no need to unplug the egr

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
my friends had a h&s(running dpf off tunes) & dpf delete installed by a shop called krazy house customs, they unplugged his egr. after 5,000 miles i towed it to the dealer when it started running real ruff. it neededd to have the egr system replaced due to it being melted
There must be some of the story missing here. An EGR can't randomly just "melt" (especially being that it was unplugged), and if he was running DPF removed it wouldn't matter if that EGR was a molten pile of lava... :evil

We do require that if you are running EGR removed tuning, that you unplug the EGR system. During initialization of the PCM, many sensors run position checks. Turbo, EGR, etc. During these checks the valve IS opening and closing. Even though the EGR is shut down during normal operation with DPF removed race tuning, the position checks can still occur. To ensure total EGR shut down, you must unplug the EGR electronics.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. I unplugged mine yesterday. Thanks for the quick response guys keep up the great work. ?

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
All we know is what ford has told us, didnt see the parts but there words were that the egr was melted. My egr is not unplugged and im not having and issues but i am also running spartan(my friend is now also)

·
bring the chain
1,344 Posts
All we know is what ford has told us, didnt see the parts but there words were that the egr was melted. My egr is not unplugged and im not having and issues but i am also running spartan(my friend is now also)
you should just remove the egr and coolers,problem solved.

the egr valve isnt a total seal valve.

if you rupture a cooler,coolant can still enter the engine intake.

·
<-- Fat Bottom Girl
871 Posts
Next month mine and the red one will have it removed when we install our compounds

·
Registered
19 Posts
We do require that if you are running EGR removed tuning, that you unplug the EGR system. During initialization of the PCM, many sensors run position checks. Turbo, EGR, etc. During these checks the valve IS opening and closing. Even though the EGR is shut down during normal operation with DPF removed race tuning, the position checks can still occur. To ensure total EGR shut down, you must unplug the EGR electronics.
Might want to change your instructions that come with the mini. It says you don't have to unplug it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
156 Posts
Might want to change your instructions that come with the mini. It says you don't have to unplug it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
We have changed the instructions. Upon first release we felt it would not need to be unplugged. But with the thousands of units now on the road, we have had a few small cases of EGR issues. For this reason, we are now requiring that the EGR be unplugged. Thanks for your understanding!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I've got 8K on mine now with the EGR still plugged in. Should I unplug it?

Edit: Nevermind...just read that. I NEED to unplug. How did I miss that months ago?
Do you even read instructions that come with products???? :pointlaugh:

Na, it is our fault. We are just now adding this requirement to our instructions and our tech data base.

See you in a couple hours Jesse!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts