Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 F350 4x4 and it was recently purchased and the fuel economy is terrible. I would like to switch from the 4.10's to the 3.73's and was wondering how hard of a job is it and what is the cost. My local trans shop said the gear swap is going to be $600 for both transfer case and rear end. Just wondering where do I get the gears from and what transfer case and rear end I have.

Thanks,
Prince

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
They told you they needed to mess with the transfer case? I wouldn't go to that shop then.

You just swap the front and rear diffs ring and pinion gears. It's a little more involved than that but that's the gist of it.

I don't really know of a price though. I do my own work.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
X2 on that gear shop..

You can get the same result going to a 34" tire. $$ would be better spent on a 6pos chip, intake and exhaust. You would likely see 15 in town and 17-18 hyway.

If we can help..

Cary

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to pay $150 labor for the rear axle and $200 labor for the front axle and supply my own parts ($4-500). I would just put some taller skinny tires on! I'd go with 265's and 3:53 gears for mileage. With the 4:10 gears I'd throw some 295's on and try not to get too wide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not feel like changing the tires. I just checked the tire pressure and it's at 50psi. Tire calls for 80psi so I am going to set them to 70psi all the way around and see what happens. The main reason I wanted to switch was because at 75mph cruising I am at 2600rpms and my buddy with the exact same truck but 2wd is crusing at 2000rpms. If I put 355 gears in it would that be ok, or am I just a paranoid new truck owner :ford:

·
Someday
31 Posts
I went from 3.73 to 4.10 a few years ago. As the others stated, this does not involve your transfer case. I added a rear locker since I had to replace the rear carrier anyway (damaged), but I think you have to replace the carrier anyway when making this change. If you decide to change gears, find a good shop, if it is not set up correctly you will regret it.

The tire option is a good alternative. I would have to think about it for a bit to give you the formula, but 285/75R16s with 4.10s are very close to 3.73s with stock size tires. If you are truly looking for optimal economy, larger tires and a higher truck will impact mileage to some degree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, I screwed up. I did not mean transfer case. What I meant was the front pig and I just want to look into something different.

Ok, with tire size, let me ask you this, Do I have to change all the tires or because right now I was only going to change my front two?

·
Bullhauler
11 Posts

Just got done changing out my 410 for a 373 idid it the easy way though dropped it from the leafs and drive shaft and swapped the whole thing.
Wasnt hard to do just common sense stuff mostly. Only problems i ran into were the shock brakets had to be moved and the yoke on the drive shaft was differt size then the one on new rear end. That had to do with the difference in year models though more then anything. only real problem was the u bolts the ones ofr old rear were to skinny and the ones on new rear were to short took a little time to find em due to a four inch stop block]
i finnaly just went withan airbag set up instead of the blocks
have fun with it

I moved a 99 373 i ton dually rearend with disc brakes into a 94 crew cab dually for the milage and getting to lose the drums runs like a spotted assed ape now lol :redspotdance::redspotdance:

·
Registered
22 Posts
fst351 - where ya located? I have 3.73's in my 2000 and would love to have some 4.10's Actually with my 37in tires I should go up to something like a 4.56 to get back to "stock" ratio, but 4.10's would be a little improvement. I'm thinking if you were close enough to where I live or where I'd be traveling in a few weeks we could just swap rear axles. pretty simple job with two people a few jack stands and a couple of hours.

I did something similar with a guy that wanted the locker differential I had in an old 92 Explorer. I was selling the explorer and wasn't about to let the locker go with it for nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts