Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cali truck with glow plug controller and I have been driving it every day recently but it has been hard to start In the morning after sitting overnight (60* evenings) with extended crank times, this morning I had to cycle the key 5 times to get it to start. I recently did a resistance check on the glow plugs and they seem ok. Also the glow plug module should bring up a code if a glow plug is bad.

When the truck starts there is usually a puff of blue smoke but it burns off pretty quick.

I have no ses light showing

I have AE, are there any tests i can do to gain more info?

·
<-Dang Orders...EGR WHAT?
115 Posts
Try a buzz test and cyclinder contribution test as a start.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok here we go

I started AE and I had a bunch of stored codes

B1352 - key in circuit failure
P1876 - transfer case 2wd solenoid failure
P1867 - transfer case contact plate failure

P0380 - glow plug heater circuit A
P0478 - exh pressure control valve high
P1248 - turbo pressure not detected
P1211 - usual chip code for out of oil
P0541 - AIH delete

Then before clearing the stored codes I ran a Buzz test

P1272 - cylinder 2 high-low side open
P1298 - IDM failure

(I think both these codes stem from recently when I had the UVCH come loose and was running on 7 cylinders)

Then I ran a contribution test

P0269 - cylinder 3
P0284 - cylinder 8
P0541 - AIH delete

(3 & 8 are common when you have a bad CPS right?)

Then I reset the KAM memory and cleared the codes and re-read codes and got a P0606 (i think this is because I tried to re-read the codes before it was finished resetting the stored codes. So I cleared the codes again and re-read and all I got was

P0541 (deleted AIH)

So then I ran a contribution again

P0269 - cylinder 3
P0284 - cylinder 8
P0541 - AIH

Then another buzz test

NO Codes!

Then I tried the glow plug test

P0541 - AIH

after doing the kam reset and clearing the old stored codes i think it might just be a cps problem, but how would that effect the starting of the engine?
also during the buzz test the tach goes to 3k with all buzzing then around 2k with each injector going.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
#3 and #8 failing the CCT can be caused by the new Ford gray CPS. If you've got a gray one and you have no driveability issues (hesitating or missing sensation, especially around 40-45 mph when the torque converter locks up) then don't sweat those codes. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm out of ideas :doh:

One easy check you could do with AE is monitor system voltage while cranking and right after start. Weak batts or alternator can cause these motors to do funny things.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the voltage but I recently replaced both batteries and the alternator, after the old alt died and took the batteries with it.

Jon

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning the truck was hard to start again, I noticed the tach wasn't really moving while cranking.

It almost seems like a fuel or hp oil problem. it only sounded like it was going to start on the first few revolutions then it's just free spinning...

Tomorrow morning i'll get ae hooked up while I start it up and watc the icp and fuel pressure (not sure if I can see that with ae)

also after it's started once in a day it starts with no problems later on

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i haven't had a chance to scan the truck from a cold start yet...

but it seems that if I try to start the truck after waiting for the WTS light to go off it will just keep cranking, but if I just turn the key off and then go to start right away it will start up.... maybe it's a hpop bleeding down issue?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I hooked up AE and tried to start the truck icp went up to 2000psi while cranking but dropped to ~250psi after i stopped cranking and dropped 10psi every second the truck wasn't running!

Battery voltage was 11.9v with the ignition on and glow plugs running, steady at 11.5v while cranking and then 14.1v while running, so that rules out a battery problem

engine rpm was around 120rpm while cranking which seems a little low...?

anyone see a problem perhaps with the ipr allowing the hpop pressure to drop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts