Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a problem with my 02 F-350 when trying to park in a tight spot it feels like i have armstrong steering. I have talked to a local steering guy and he says the factory PS pumps don't put out enough pressure and i should upgrade to a savanaw pump. There use to be some company that had a kit with this pump to install on these trucks but I can't seem to find out who or where to get a higher pressure pump. Any help? Thx

·
HOME!!!!
380 Posts
saginaw pump is what your looking for. and its going to be stock but built by saginaw. how do your brakes feel

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just installed new upper and lower ball joints yesterday. I had to be moving to turn before or rev engine. Turnns easy now. Replacing pitman arm joint, adjuster sleeve, and the other long bar joint today.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Ball joints def go bad in these trucks.
Also google or you tube a powersteering fluid change...
Made a difference on my truck.
Helped the brakes aswell

·
Registered
298 Posts
Flushing your p/s hydro boost system will make a huge difference. I can't believe some of the people I've met who feel that flushing the hydro systems for p/s and even the brakes help them work so much better and last longer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Installed the other steering parts......turns SO easy now!!! Quiter ride other, no more clunking.

·
HOME!!!!
380 Posts
have you jacked up the front and inspected everything yourself or are you just going off someone telling you to upgrade your pump

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys thx for the advice for the most part, i will look at flushing my P/S hydro boost system maybe at the same time as changing my pump to the Saginaw pump. My brakes feel find and the front end is tight. The guy I was talking to who has been in the business for 25 years said Ford has had problems with these pumps since day 1.

·
Hello
6 Posts
I have the same problem. I have 35 12.50r18 on my truck. I put a new pump and flushed system and it helped until the fluid gets warm. Have a new steering box and new ball joints. Thinking of upgrading the ps cooler to a bigger one and see if that helps. If not then ill look for a bigger ps pump.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
ford had pump problems from day one on these trucks also steering box problems too. I just got done putting a reman steering box on in the local grocery stores parking lot due to the output shaft snapping in half and my pitman arm falling to the ground. Luckily I was just backing out of a parking spot and not doing 70 on the highway.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Ther was a good write up a little while back where someone listed a much larger pump with a reservoir...however he never had to mount it. Du to finding an all metal oem pump... it was an interesting read ill see if I can find a link.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I bunped it up...thread is called upgraded power steering

1 - 16 of 16 Posts