Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help troubleshooting. I think I might need to replace the glow plugs, but I don't know what I need to check on.

Last fall/winter it was hard to start when it got chilly, and I had to plug it in sometimes, but this year, it is only in the 40's and it doesn't want to start.
I have been noticing some smoke right when it starts (when cold), but it goes away quickly.

Once it is warmed up it starts just fine.

The truck has 190k miles, and I assume these are still the stock plugs.

What should I be checking? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it has been plugged in since I posted above and it still wont start. Now I am getting worried. It has been running fine once it was started. It has never been this hard to start either.

·
Certified Engine Destroye
533 Posts
You can check each bank with an amp clamp. If one side has a lower amp draw then the other that side has a problem. You can also check the amp draw of each plug. However i can t recall the exact amperage at this time. I think its 5. Might also want to check the injector contribution/balance. They could be getting weak.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Maybe since.youre.at a lack of experience with these trucks and your batts are getting weak? Have.you tried.cranking immediatlry and not letting them try to charge?

·
533 Posts
6.0 Bible - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Here ya go buddy. That should get you started. Like said above make sure your batteries are charged. Try and get yourself a scanguage or somethjng similar. These engines are far different then a carbureted 350. A diagnostic scan tool is a must when diagnosing these engines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. I think this is what you are talking about specifically?

Page 68: Electrical Components

So I did get it started. It was cranking fine for a while, but then it was like the batteries wore out, so I guess I should get the batteries tested. I had to hook up jumpers. It still did not want to start, but it did eventually.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,212 Posts
You are on the road to a failed FICM if you have been cranking much w/ bad / low batteries.

Our trucks should start at 40 degrees WITHOUT needing glow plugs.

·
533 Posts
Agreed. Batteries are cheaper than a FICM. If theres any question get them replaced first.

·
533 Posts
Thanks for the link. I think this is what you are talking about specifically?

Page 68: Electrical Components

So I did get it started. It was cranking fine for a while, but then it was like the batteries wore out, so I guess I should get the batteries tested. I had to hook up jumpers. It still did not want to start, but it did eventually.
That is what i was referring to. I have that same meter thats in the picture. Works great. Fluke products Ftw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts