Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First want to thank everyone for their advice a couple months ago when my 2007 6.0L started putting coolant out the exhaust. I went with the EGR delete and oil cooler from River City Diesel. My dealer said the head gaskets are fine. I had a tune from MGS Performance, but had it turned down to just above stock power as to not incur any more repair bills.
Truck has been fine for a couple months, but the last week it is hard to start. You can hear the glow plugs and the light cycles as normal, but you have to roll the starter for quite a long time before it fires. Doesn't matter if it is warm or cold. Almost like it is losing fuel prime?

Any ideas? Does it sound like a fuel problem? Lift pump? What is my next bill going to be, lol.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
your not hearing glow plugs, your hearing the injectors...

Any codes like P0611?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So that's the injectors you here and not the glow plugs?
So it may be my glow plug relay or ficm?

What are the ficm worth? I'll have to test the glow plug relay first I guess. Thanks.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
there is no GP Relay... its a control module, known to fail, but not often... Glow plugs are most likely just fine. FICM will run ya ~$700

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If the GP's are not working you wont get it started when its cold out. Get someone to hook a scanner up and watch the rail pressure while cranking, and FICM voltage. Where are you located? Maybe someone is near you and can help without raping you to use a scanner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks. Do I need to have the Ford dealer scan it, or will the scanners most shops use be able to diagnose it?

I wouldn't think it was the glow plugs because even after I drive it and it is hot, I can shut it off and it still has to crank like crazy before it fires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in Sault Ontario Canada doublestroker. We have two Ford dealers and I have no respect for either. That's why I come here for answers and buy stuff off members.
We have no diesel performance shops around here. I still love Ford's but this truck has really tested my patience. But I'll still buy Ford.

Wonder if something came loose when they did the EGR delete?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had ONE...ONE! hard cold start. It was the FICM. Around here, that's what we call a BOAT repair. Bust Out Another Thousand. Good luck

·
Dirty Outlaw
55 Posts
A couple months back mine started doing the same thing first I checked the ficm voltage .it waas at 48. Then I checked the icp as in unpluging it and trying 2 start ,that was not it last I checked the oil pressure and surly enough it was low so I knew I had a leak I dint run air threw the system 2 find out where it was I just purchased all the things that r known for leaking and replaced it turned out 2 be the stc fitting and driver side dummy plug hope this helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm. Funny you mention STC fitting Dirty Outlaw. Ford dealer did my egr delete and it came with an updated STC fitting (River City) I wonder if they screwed it up?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, Dirty Outlaw, my egr delete kit came with what was called an updated snap to connect fitting. I don't know what or where it is.

Took the truck to dealer today and had it scanned. No codes (other than one instance of not reading fan speed) and they said evrything is ok. Said they checked glow plugs, ficm, fuel pressure. Told me there is no electronic issues at all. but I don't know if they checked that stc fitting?

So now I'm baffled. Guess I'll just have to put up with it until it don't run at all. Then maybe they'll find the problem.

·
Dirty Outlaw
55 Posts
The stc is connected to the hpop. Under the turbo u can run air threw the icp to see if u have a oil leak my guess then its the dummy plugs or stand pipes

·
Dirty Outlaw
55 Posts
When mine first started acting up it was about a month till I couldn't start it at all when it was at operating temp I couldn't fix it for a month so resorted 2 starting fluid witch I know is bad lol

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Ya, Dirty Outlaw, my egr delete kit came with what was called an updated snap to connect fitting. I don't know what or where it is.

Took the truck to dealer today and had it scanned. No codes (other than one instance of not reading fan speed) and they said evrything is ok. Said they checked glow plugs, ficm, fuel pressure. Told me there is no electronic issues at all. but I don't know if they checked that stc fitting?

So now I'm baffled. Guess I'll just have to put up with it until it don't run at all. Then maybe they'll find the problem.
Take it back to the dealer. Leave it sit overnight and have them scan it while cranking after a 12 hour cold soak

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK thanks a lot for the help everyone. I just wanted to find out as much as I can, as I've had some issues with the dealer before and now I find it hard to trust them.

I'll get it in as soon as I can and let you know what they tell me. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts