Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this morning I went out and started my truck and let it warm up, when I shut the truck off to place my order at drive thru it would not start back up. I tested the ficm and I have a steady 48v in all positions, this test w done in middle of e day so the engine was not cold. It sounds like my battery is real strong but the truck sounds like it is not getting fuel. I let the truck sit for a while and cranked the truck for 45 seconds straight then it started and ran fine drove home and it would not start. I went in garage and got some starter fluid and this helped it start right up. Below I will list the mods I did last week end please let me know if I am thinking in the right direction or give me some direction please.

installed regulator kit and banjo bolts I had to reuse one used washer due to the new one falling and could not find it, could this be letting air in lines ???

Could my ficm still be bad even if I have good volts

Bad fuel pump?????

Can someone help me in the right direction I have no codes and the truck runs good when running.

Thanks to everyone for any help

·
PSN Regular
201 Posts
Hpop maybe not building enough pressure... That would explain long cranking and eventually starting...

·
Registered
700 Posts
depending on what year. sounds like a hp oil issue possibly one if your plugs have blown orings. starts when cold due to the oil being thicker. w

·
Registered
287 Posts
its an 06 so it could be stc fitting, stand pipes, dummy plugs. but u dont need something to monitor icp.could try unplugging ur icp sensor and see if that will let it start then.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
a very common problem ive seen with 6.0's not starting once hot is the high pressure oil tubes that go through your h.p.o. rail, but could be a number of problems.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
I had that exact symptom. I bought the truck in 06 and waited for these symptoms...when they finally happened I was ready with all the parts on the work-bench.
I work 20 miles from home. On the way home one evening I pulled into a Carl's Junior to pick up dinner for my wife and I. I was in and out with dinner in less than 10 minutes. The truck just turned over and over and over. I re-tried after waiting 5 minutes and still nothing. At that point I knew I needed to either wait 3 hours for it to cool off or call a tow truck. Luckily I was only 3 miles from home. It was only a $100 tow.

Anyway to the fix..... I replaced the tube that leads from the HPOP to the branch tubes. The new one eliminates the leaky STC fitting (a common problem on 05-07s), replacing it with a straight pipe. While I was in there I also replace the dummy plugs and standpipes. I'm virtually certain that one of these was the source of my high pressure oil system leak. After the repair it initially took about three 10 second cranks. I re-charged the batteries between each of these. I know that long cranks is hard on the FICM. It discharges the batteries quickly and low voltage is what kills the FICM. After the initial trouble starting it up, it has then started within 2 seconds every time. It runs great and I know this nailed the problem.
For me personally, I would rather fix any issue that could make my truck unreliable at the same time, as long as I am going to break into it.
I can't remember how much the new branch tube fitting was (STC fitting repair), but the dummy plugs and standpipes were $105 for all of them at Tousley Ford.
If I had your symptoms, I would do this entire repair again, just like I did mine this last summer.

I also did some other things to make the truck bullet proof, but, they are not absolutely necessary. I did these other things because I didn't want to break into the engine again for a long, long time. I rebuilt the oil cooler (with a ford rebuild kit $330, but you can get it cheaper at Tousley), I replaced the EGR cooler with one from Bulletproof diesel. I also replace my IPR valve (cost me $280 at the dealer), since it's hard to remove if you don't have the intake manifold off.
Then I replaced my water pump, since I had 80,000 miles on it. And also replaced the serpentine belt.....again, because I had to remove the old one anyway. Oh, and I did an oil change and replaced the fuel filters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok these are my symtoms, I guess i have hot starting symtoms when i start the truck it idles fine FICM voltage good, when i pull off the truck will blow a little white smoke and feels like it is missing. if it warms up it takse alot of turning over to start, where should i start. please help.

no check engine light at all

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I have figured out that my STC fitting is bad, but my luck gets no better, I took my truck to the dealer to figure out the hot start problem and on the way the turbo would not build any boost I pulled over to check the boots and they were connected. When I spoke to the tech he said I need a turbo an etc fitting and something called a " vgt" I think that's what he said.

I plan on changing the turbo myself and the stc fitting can someone tell me what is the part number for the stc fitting kit and what and where is the vgt I guess this controls the turbo.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dumb question, whats the STC fitting??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts