Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker and I have solved many problems thanks to the help from the experts on here. Now I am at a point where I need a little advice.

Early 03, deleted, arp studs, fire ring gaskets, etc, etc.

I was getting a hard start when cold and hot. My hpop numbers were bouncing and my ipr max'd out at 85%. I had a P2291 code. Pulled parts, got back to the icp sensor. It was coated in oil, so I replaced it and the pigtail. Started up fine, drove around the block, no issues.

IPR valve was replaced about 3 years ago. Rebuilt FICM about 2 years ago.

Day after I replaced the sensor, I am sometimes getting a hard start and occasional no start when the truck is hot.

When cold I have the following before cranking:
IPR=14.7
ICP-V=0.2
FICM-V=47.5

After cranking, I get the following:
HPOP=800ish
IPR=24.7
ICP-V=1.0
FiCM-V=40-43
FICM Sync=1

When it is hot and I get a hard/no start issue, the HPOP will be around mid 300s, IPR max's out at 85%. Sometimes it will eventually build pressure and crank. Every now and then it won't.

Errors I pulled are
P0098
P0683
P2291

I have had a weak glow plug in one cylinder for a while. So I am aware of that.

I know I probably need to check for leaks, but getting back to the icp sensor just isn't fun to me.

Could IAT sensor and/or the low voltage on the FICM cause it to not be able to build pressure? I just wanted to look at some obvious options before I tore into it again.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,162 Posts
I would get it hot and air test, and I would air test through the IPR valve position with the IPR valve air-test fitting. Inspect the IPR valve when you remove it.

IMO the IAT sensor isn't going to cause low ICP and it is a stretch to say the FICM could. Most likely issues on an early build are IPR, HPOP, and then injectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed your advice on the IPR fitting. That was much easier than going through the sensor and having to energize the valve. Ended up being #3 injector top o-ring.

I ordered the Alliant kit, fought for two days and could not get the factory retaining clip out. Cried uncle and bought an oem injector. When the next injector fails, I will upgrade them all at that time. Probably to 175/30.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,162 Posts
Glad you got it done.

That is my plan too (upgrade to 175/30). I am at 210k miles, so it is probably in the near future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts