Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this has probably been asked a million times, but i cant find an answer worth trusting.

To start i have a 99.5 7.3
Batteries are less than a year old
Has a ts6 and exhaust

Last week i started having intermittent hard starting, some mornings it would pop right off, others it would not start at all, like no glowplugs were working. So my immediate thought was to replace the relay, because the glowplugs are only 3 years old. So i replaced the relay, and it didnt change a thing.
So this morning before i started it, i checked oil level, it was fine. So i checked my hpop reservoir, and it was within an 1" of the top. Also no leaks from any oil lines.

Next thought was injector o-rings. Though i dont have any white smoke upon start up, i checked my bowl. Fuel looks really clean, no oil in the bowl.

I tested my new relay, and i have power going from ignition, then of course to glowplugs.

Next i thought maybe a fuel drain back issue, so i drained the bowl and let it refill itself, it filled up quite fast.

So im kind of stumped, this is all happening when i park it for more than 4 hours under 50° F. But not everytime, only random mornings.

Thanks in advance

-BILL

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You could just have aging injectors.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could just have aging injectors.

Actually the injectors are only 6 years old, according to original owner's receipts
6228546, member: 372246"]
First thing I would do is clean your terminals. Clean them excessively.
[/QUOTE]

Did That, no fire again tonight when trying to leave the drive in. Guy had a jump pack, hook it up and popped right off like it was 100 degrees out

·
Administrator
186 Posts
my 02 was doing the same thing. i was ready to do the top end of the engine.

then the starter went. positive cable fell apart when trying to remove it from the starter.
new starter, cables, and batteries because they were 4 years old. solved all the starting issues and i realized there was nothing wrong with the engine itself.

·
Registered
2001 Lariat F350. Leveled, 5” exhaust, ww38, 6637,
130 Posts
Did That, no fire again tonight when trying to leave the drive in. Guy had a jump pack, hook it up and popped right off like it was 100 degrees out
I’d say that tends to indicate it’s electrical.

I understand the batteries are new. But I’d personally go ahead and get them tested.

If they come out kosher I’d be looking at that main cable like 1970something said.

Do you have forscan?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Also, just because the terminals are tight, doesn't mean a good connection. Check voltage drop between the terminal and the post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, this has probably been asked a million times, but i cant find an answer worth trusting.

To start i have a 99.5 7.3
Batteries are less than a year old
Has a ts6 and exhaust

Last week i started having intermittent hard starting, some mornings it would pop right off, others it would not start at all, like no glowplugs were working. So my immediate thought was to replace the relay, because the glowplugs are only 3 years old. So i replaced the relay, and it didnt change a thing.
So this morning before i started it, i checked oil level, it was fine. So i checked my hpop reservoir, and it was within an 1" of the top. Also no leaks from any oil lines.

Next thought was injector o-rings. Though i dont have any white smoke upon start up, i checked my bowl. Fuel looks really clean, no oil in the bowl.

I tested my new relay, and i have power going from ignition, then of course to glowplugs.

Next i thought maybe a fuel drain back issue, so i drained the bowl and let it refill itself, it filled up quite fast.

So im kind of stumped, this is all happening when i park it for more than 4 hours under 50° F. But not everytime, only random mornings.

Thanks in advance

-BILL
I’m assuming the TS6 is a six position switch you had programmed for the truck? If so, mine has caused the same symptoms you are describing. Just pull the TS6 module out of where it is located and clean the contacts on the module with a pencil eraser. I mean really clean them good. Wipe down with alcohol when finished and reinstall in truck. Once I did that my truck stopped having the no start issues. I have had to do this twice since I installed it in my truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts