Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Powerstrokin'
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this truck, runs awesome, on the way home this evening the trans started shifting really harsh, and the OD OFF light was blinking on the shifter?? is my trans shot?? Fluid is fine, doesn't smell burnt or anything. Help!!

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Trans is done. Its in limp mode right now and you need to get the codes read. Dont use a cheapo scan tool you need something like AE or a scan gauge, or a snap on scanner.

·
Powerstrokin'
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, OD light blinks with key on.

I just don't see how the trans is done, when it was working fine 20mins before??

I did notice the speedo is jumping around all over the place, could that be affecting it?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Yea, OD light blinks with key on.

I just don't see how the trans is done, when it was working fine 20mins before??

I did notice the speedo is jumping around all over the place, could that be affecting it?
The more info you give us the better we can help.

The speedo bouncing is prolly caused by the VSS in the rear axle. If a new sensor doesnt fix it then its prolly the wiring.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Blinking with the key on indicates an electrical problem is present in the transmission, usually its the solenoid body. Did the bouncing speedo start when the trans started shifting bad? or was it like that before? at this point you need to have the codes read to find out what the problem is before you just start throwing parts at it.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Blinking with the key on indicates an electrical problem is present in the transmission, usually its the solenoid body. Did the bouncing speedo start when the trans started shifting bad? or was it like that before? at this point you need to have the codes read to find out what the problem is before you just start throwing parts at it.
:whs:

Also, I would post this down in the tranny section. There is a real tranny pro that cruises that section.

·
Powerstrokin'
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just picked up the rear speed sensor, installing it now and crossing my fingers! Thanks so much for the help fellas! I have to get it to my dads shop to get it on a scanner.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I am going to move this thread to the tranny section, it will probably get more action there.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
It is almost always a waste of money to randomly install parts when there's a problem. Getting the codes read will usually save money, even if you have to pay to have them read. Places that read codes free can't read Ford transmission codes.

I doubt your trans is toast. If you keep driving it with this problem still there it will become toast.

·
Aspiring 7.3 Dude
6 Posts
I have a 99.5 f350 dually 7.3 and it started doing that too. Turns out it was indeed my VSS right on the rear pumpkin. Hopefully it is the same case for you as they're not terribly expensive. ;)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
how about hard shift and no OD ligt flashing? or codes speedo only goofy 50-55mph I was coming home w/ HT and 2 horses and shiifting hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts