Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen they had them on sale and I have a 25% off coupon. I could get it for 225. Worth the money? Or just keep looking. It's the 12,000 pound winch.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ive been looking at them for the trailer. A friend of mine has one and he takes it back right before his 2 year warranty is up and trades it in. He has 6 years doing that and I dont think any of them have been broken.

Point is for the money they arent bad but its not what I would want to rely on in the middle of no where with no cell service and a long walk for help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have been really hard on the last 7 trucks I have owned. Not sure if I would take this one in some of the same places but it's hard to pass up at that price. The research I have done is that the older models had issues with wires shorting something out, they have since fixed the issue. I would take it apart and make sure there are no failure points I could see.

After looking around and reading reviews and tests comparing most winch company's products even some of the more expensive winches crap out before the cheap ones. Why spend 600 on something I could spend 200 on?

·
Registered
909 Posts
hey I am all for giving it a try. Just not something I would out of the box rely on like my mile marker

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mile marker are a bit junky IMO, we used them in the army and always broke or never worked to begin with

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ones we had were never an issue, It was always the rest of the humvee that let us down. Granted their hydraulic winch line is separate from their electric. The sealed solenoid 12k I have has been amazing the past 6 years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah cause its a damn GM motor what do you expect. Heard international was trying to start putting motors in them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No idea, When I got out I stopped paying any attention to what was going on.

I didnt have much humvee time anyways. First deployment was mostly foot stuff with a good amount of air assault thrown in. Second was route clearance. Only time I used a humvee was PX runs

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have extensive humvee time, I worked on them for 7+ years. Took them in mud and had a blast... Ft Stewart, ft Benning, ft huachuca and Iraq. Ft Stewart best mudding, ft huachuca best rock crawling.

·
Registered
909 Posts
We had them out in Ft irwin. They were fun out there but it was a lot more fun to use the COB-V (Civilian on the battlefield) trucks out there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For the money I would just get the harbor freight. If not them I'd go with Engo. Engo sells a 12,000# winch for 430$

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heard Engo has some nice stuff. Former CEO of mile marker I thought

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankfully never made it to ft Irwin

·
Registered
909 Posts
It wasnt as bad as everyone makes it seem. 2 hours from vegas and 2 hours from LA. Plus we did 2 weeks in the field then two 4 day weekends. Lots of time to go have fun

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yea, they came in fourth of the winch shootout. But somehow harbor freight came in 7th, and their winch didn't even work out of the box.

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
I've had some experience with HF tools and would consider any purchase there a temporary fix. That's .02 worth.

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
My harbor freight winch is on a well used trailer and has lasted over 6 years . Only issue was the controller , it needs a smack once in a while to get it to work .

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just an FYI. Where do you see this on sale for $300? I was looking at it today and see it for $400 or there is a coupon to buy it for $300. Since it takes a coupon to make it $300, you can't use the 25% coupon with it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just an FYI. Where do you see this on sale for $300? I was looking at it today and see it for $400 or there is a coupon to buy it for $300. Since it takes a coupon to make it $300, you can't use the 25% coupon with it.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can use a coupon with it. I've done it many times... I think its depends who helps you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts