Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the mechanical fuel pumps, has anyone thought about just bypassing the first stage of the fuel pump (low pressure diaphram) and replacing that with a low pressure electric pump? You could keep the stock filter assembly, add a prefilter if you wanted, and have more consistant priming/fuel flow? Might be a decent alternative (lower cost as well) for guys who don't really need the bigger E-Fuel systems for the larger injectors, turbos, etc... I don't know, but would be interested if anyone tried this. Long car rides each day get a man to thinkin'....

Cory

·
Registered
133 Posts
I with my limited knowledge of the 7.3 fuel system agree with you...

Anybody see a problem with this?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Just off the cuff, it would seem like trying to plumb that would be a nightmare. If it were me I'd just do the complete e-fuel. Cheers!

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
I have had the same thought myself. Plumbing would actually be quit simple as all you would need to do is eliminate the top to ports of the factory pump. (drivers side=inlet straight from tank, passenger side=low pressure to filter) and have the feed from your after market "lift pump" feed directly into the fuel bowl. The bottom inlet on your factory pump is the lower pressure inlet after the filter and the high pressure goes out the back through the hard lines to the heads. The only problem I have come up with in thinking this trough is that the fuel is the lubrication for the pump. That being said its a diaphragm style pump so that may not be an issue. You can pick up a low pressure diesel pump at a parts store pretty cheap. If you don't think no fuel in the pump is an issue try it out and let us know how it works! Good luck

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that the discussion about the inconsistent fuel delivery with the mechanical pump, would most likely be due to the lower pressure side of the system. It has the longest draw, and is a diaphragm pump. The piston pump is fed from the fuel filter , so aslong as the fuel filter stays filled and pressuirized with the 6 psi or so of fuel, the piston pump should simply increasing the pressure up to the "X". This one is lubed by the fuel and would continue to do so. I agree pumbing would be easy. I have been collecting all the components to complete my total E-Fuel system, but for "giggles" I may just use my Water/seperator assembly and get a LP fuel pump and try it out....

Cory

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
I agree would be interesting. Would like to see. Do it and post some pics!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
I would steer away from that unit. Its not rated for diesel. Even for temp use the cost is high to have start leaking when it eats the seals.

Not sure of factory GPH rating but I believe this would work. Its diesel rated, and comes with a in line pre-filter so you wouldn't have to worry about that!

Search Results for 12d - SummitRacing.com

Its also $48.99 on ebay and amazon!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They don't have wet seals and Carter makes it in a diesel approved varient. The main difference is the copper armature is replaced by a carbon armature because it lasts longer. Stock SD pumps use copper armatures.... This is according to Carter's website. As for your pump recommendation, I think that may be a solenoid type pump which in the past I have found to have airlock and lift weaknesses. It is also 35 gph limit. It may be a good choice though...

Cory

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Hmmm..... Good info on the varients, i didn't know that. I guess my point of view would be why put that much money into something you just want to try. The idea may work very well, but I wouldn't want to put $150 into something that I'm not planning to keep on the truck...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely agree! However, if I don't have a quality pump in place that flows the right amount of fuel, then it skews the results. Did it not work becuase of the idea or the poor pump etc..? May have to chew on this until after the holidays. I guess if it works, maybe someone would want to purchase the pump to do the conversion themselves?

Cory

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just confirmed with Carter, the GP4070 pump I listed earlier is certified for use with diesel (#1 & #2) fuel. It is $82.00 at Summit. May have to try this....

Cory

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
This makes me wonder how many other "universal" pumps are out there that are listed for gas and say nothing about diesel but are diesel approved? CumminsTrader, you're doing a great job of inspiring thought! I want to see how this works for you....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so one thought on this. My pre-filter/water seperator (FleetGUard FS1242) is a 10 micron and the stock filter is a 14 micron. My post filter is a 2 micron. So should I install either of those with this pump? I am curious if this ends up working well, maybe leaving it in place.....? I have to leave the stock filter in place so I can keep the stock regulator in place.....

Cory

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
So you want to feed the stock pump with a low pressure electric pump?

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Ok, so one thought on this. My pre-filter/water seperator (FleetGUard FS1242) is a 10 micron and the stock filter is a 14 micron. My post filter is a 2 micron. So should I install either of those with this pump? I am curious if this ends up working well, maybe leaving it in place.....? I have to leave the stock filter in place so I can keep the stock regulator in place.....

Cory
Actually no you don't have to keep the fuel bowl to keep the stock reg!

The Fuel Bowl delete and regulated return for peanuts. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

That's a very good write up with how to mod the fuel bowl and eliminate it with keeping the stock regulator! Check it out.

Good luck

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GNXTC2, Yes that is exactly what I am thinking.

Jsnyder7.3, Thanks for the info I was wondering about that! Well that looks like a start.

Cory

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may or may not do that regulator "Mod". I guess I could use that for the trial period, but If I decide to stay with this setup, I could get my hands on a Aeromotive regulator and change that up. There is a lot of hacking on that regulator and I am kind of a picky [email protected]#$ard about the function and astetics(sp) of my modifications...

Cory

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Just a heads up. Fass also makes a diesel approved regulator with boost compensation. Its a little cheaper than the aeromotive. I think some of the sponsors have them available. Don't know anyone who has run their reg, but lots of people that are happy with their pumps. Just wanted to give you another option. DON'T FORGET PICS when you do it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.