Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have some off road lights that i put on my truck and i have taken them off when i installed my new bumper and now i am ready to put them back on, while doing my bumper i also installed some 5k HIDs from retro solutions. I took the lights apart to look at what size the bulbs where to change them cause i knew with my HIDs when you turned them on they wouldnt be real noticeable. I really only use these when i go down to my ranch and i am in the country where it is pitch black at night.

I have talked with Todd at Retro and i am looking into possibly converting them to HIDs but what i want to know from you guys is recomendations on just replacing the bulbs with better ones that would be noticable and with my HID lighs. THe lights run on H3 bulbs and are rated for 55w anyone have any bulb suggestions besides the HID route

·
Registered
213 Posts
don't they sell a couple different types of the h3 bulbs i replaced mine the other day there were standard 55w and 100w and some type of a i think a ultra bright bulb of some sort

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i am looking for is like an ultra bright bulb i was thinking about the silver star ultras

·
99 superduty on 22.5
147 Posts
i have spare 130w and i believe some 150w bulbs here for the lights that i put on my truck. i have found some bright whites and led h3 bulbs on ebay.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i see that those are 130W bulbs when i bought my lights they are 55w do you think that will hurt anything going from 55w to 130w or should i be ok

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have always upgraded bulb in just about everything I have owned and not had an issue...Can I promise you that you will not have an issue...No. If you are worried about the 130watt bulbs, Hella make 100's. Now, I don't know how your lights are wired, if you use relays, or what guage wires you are going to use. On my truck I run (4) 130 watt slim daylighters that come on with my high beams. I used the harnesses that came with them but changed how they are wired so that they do not put any load on the headlight switch by pulling all power for the lights through a relay from the battery. Since our trucks have dual batteries I split the load equally...two lights per battery so there is equal power draw on the electrical system. Between the daylighters and a brite box I have lots of light to see the local deer.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
be sure your wiring is 12 ga or better.I would run it off a relay also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may be helpful for you:

How To Wire Fog And Driving Lights Harness Wiring Diagram

Makes the lights easier to use, but you have to be careful as they may be off road lights and not legal for use on the road.:doh:

Most police...:pullover: would not be happy to see you using them...:mad:

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts