Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good deal on a h2e with the t6 flange..can this be adapted to run on a 97 7.3..I know most use the t4 flange and not the t6? thanks

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
FYI - The H2E turbo on the Hypermax kit is a T4i not a standard T4.

While the foot print of the turbo is important for mounting purposes - the performance aspects are governed more by the A/R of the turbine housing.

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so can I mount the t6 on a t4i pedistol? basically is this feasable? I have no problem making cutom pipe to make it work but mounting is what worries me?

·
Registered
686 Posts
FYI - The H2E turbo on the Hypermax kit is a T4i not a standard T4.

While the foot print of the turbo is important for mounting purposes - the performance aspects are governed more by the A/R of the turbine housing.
Ive heard that the t6 flows considerably more...more air in, more air can be put out.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Ive heard that the t6 flows considerably more...more air in, more air can be put out.
So.... you have an A/R ratio that dictates the scroll geometry and that is based around known turbine wheels.... just how does the T6 flow more?

Now that said I prefer the T4 foot for packaging. The T4 is smaller and the port flow matches pretty well with standard up pipe sizing.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
so can I mount the t6 on a t4i pedistol? basically is this feasable? I have no problem making cutom pipe to make it work but mounting is what worries me?
You can make an adapter that will go from a T4i to a T6 if you desire - but unless you have a T4i mount (Hypermax) I would build the mount to match the turbo you want to run.

Your not that far away from me. I have a T4 mount and an H2E mount, and who knows what else kicking around the shop if you would like to look at some examples.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So.... you have an A/R ratio that dictates the scroll geometry and that is based around known turbine wheels.... just how does the T6 flow more?

Now that said I prefer the T4 foot for packaging. The T4 is smaller and the port flow matches pretty well with standard up pipe sizing.
Exactly....

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
What I heard the perf differences were between the various pedestals were their effect on spool up from backpressure. The smaller T4 mounted would tend to spool up turbo faster than a T6. A T3 even more so.

It has to be true to cause I even remember reading about something similar in a Diesel magazine. ;) :doh: But seriously, it really was in one of the rags. It was about a Duramax build using a ATS Aurora 5000 on a t3 mount specifically to help make the bigger turbo more responsive than it would be on the t4 mount. They actually made a big deal about it.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
What I heard the perf differences were between the various pedestals were their effect on spool up from backpressure. The smaller T4 mounted would tend to spool up turbo faster than a T6. A T3 even more so.

It has to be true to cause I even remember reading about something similar in a Diesel magazine. ;) :doh: But seriously, it really was in one of the rags. It was about a Duramax build using a ATS Aurora 5000 on a t3 mount specifically to help make the bigger turbo more responsive than it would be on the t4 mount. They actually made a big deal about it.
I don't have any of the stuff in front of me at the moment - but think about flow and the area transisitions it needs to make - I specifically remember someone posting the cross sectional areas of the up pipes and then the cross sectional areas of the divided T4 and T6 housings (I think it was Grumpy AKA 389sixpack) The T4 ports matched pretty well area wise with the up pipes - while the T6 was significantly larger. This rapid increase in area on a T6 charger will cause a significant velocity change in the exhaust gasses - as well as some pretty funky flow characteristics. I am sure these are the reasons a T4 charger will light somewhat better than an identically equiped T6 charger.

Like I said the T6 housing doesn't really flow more.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I found a good deal on a h2e with the t6 flange..can this be adapted to run on a 97 7.3..I know most use the t4 flange and not the t6? thanks
If it is an H2E easiest way is to buy a 17 or 19cm housing for it that is T4i and put it on a Hypermax mount.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I don't have any of the stuff in front of me at the moment - but think about flow and the area transisitions it needs to make - I specifically remember someone posting the cross sectional areas of the up pipes and then the cross sectional areas of the divided T4 and T6 housings (I think it was Grumpy AKA 389sixpack) The T4 ports matched pretty well area wise with the up pipes - while the T6 was significantly larger. This rapid increase in area on a T6 charger will cause a significant velocity change in the exhaust gasses - as well as some pretty funky flow characteristics. I am sure these are the reasons a T4 charger will light somewhat better than an identically equiped T6 charger.

The T6 housing on my GT4594 lights very quickly. A/R is the only real difference in spooling IMO.

I like to way the up pipes transition much better into the T6 flange, its that simple. I do not wish to argue any performance difference between the two as I have no factual data to back any bs up.

The only reason I picked T6 was that was the housing on this charger. I was very happy to see the ease in which the up pipe fit into the T6 configuration. Keep in mind that mine is fabricated and not cast. Casting would make the transition easier on the T4. I am also able to directly swap in a Garrett wastegate housing if it is ever required.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I don't have any of the stuff in front of me at the moment - but think about flow and the area transisitions it needs to make - I specifically remember someone posting the cross sectional areas of the up pipes and then the cross sectional areas of the divided T4 and T6 housings (I think it was Grumpy AKA 389sixpack) The T4 ports matched pretty well area wise with the up pipes - while the T6 was significantly larger. This rapid increase in area on a T6 charger will cause a significant velocity change in the exhaust gasses - as well as some pretty funky flow characteristics. I am sure these are the reasons a T4 charger will light somewhat better than an identically equipped T6 charger.

So the fact the pipes become the restriction point equal to the T4 setup means no more flow and possibly worse efficiency because of the turbulence the mis match causes in flow?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That is smooth. Did you do that on all the T4 setups you have built?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
That is smooth. Did you do that on all the T4 setups you have built?
Yessir, the one that went to Cali is the only T4 I have done for anyone besides myself. My first one had an OBS collector on it for the connection, it was EZ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts