Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on upgrading my turbo around thanksgiving. I need a turbo that I can tow 10K with, sled pull with and handle BD codes. I am running factory forged rods and the head has been studded. Shooting for around 450hp.

Please give me good reliable info, not just some hear say BS. If you ran it I want to hear it. The good, bad or indifferent. Let me hear it.

Thanks PN crew,

Keep Strokin'

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Im a big fan of the BWD compound TN's. Works very well on mine. The TN ball bearing unit is really nice. Not sure how much fuel its capable of on its own though.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
With that much fuel I would personally go for an H2E or modded H2E (which ever is more drivable, I don't know).

A friend with B codes and garrett bb = 49lbs of boost. I think the GTP 38R is done around 40psi and really overspooling and off the map at 49.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Another option I've been kicking around is a GT 40 or GT 42.

I would think one of those is comparable/better than the H2E in terms of flow and ball bearing should spool up nice.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,952 Posts
Yup, I'd go with the 42. I'm running a 45 right now which is LOTS of fun when it lites :D but it doesn't do so 'til around 2100rpm. It's not bad just driving around but it has a tendancy to smoke people out while towing. I'll be putting a 42 back on as soon as it gets here.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Yup, I'd go with the 42. I'm running a 45 right now which is LOTS of fun when it lites :D but it doesn't do so 'til around 2100rpm. It's not bad just driving around but it has a tendancy to smoke people out while towing. I'll be putting a 42 back on as soon as it gets here.
Is the 45 getting a little brother? :D

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the GT42 a direct bolt on? Or does it install using a flange like the H2E?

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,952 Posts
Nah, it needs a kit. DI sells 'em.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,952 Posts
Is the 45 getting a little brother? :D
Nah, 45 is going back to Snow White. I'll be runnin' the 42, which I was quite happy with to be frank, until CHARLES PUTS HIS PARTS/PART NUMBER LIST UP. :D

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Id go with a h2 or a modded h2e. The modded h2 is a little laggier than reg h2e but it still tows nicely.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It just needs a little brother upstream to help it along.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
will a standard H2E handle B codes and make around 450hp? Or is 450hp too high for a standard H2E? I don't like lag or smoke while towing.

Keep the info flowing guys,

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
so what is the difference between b codes and minime/530 hybirds?

I was looking( with some hints) at a similar setup with a gt38 and mini-me's

seems like the b codes with 49 psi it is too much for both a 38 turbo and stock head bolts/ gaskets.

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
CHARLES PUTS HIS PARTS/PART NUMBER LIST UP. :D

Pretty easy really

*EBAY Garrett GT47 non ball bearing turbo LINK
*Garrett 38r
*EBAY TIAL 44mm wastegate, pre 38r (I'd go 50mm at least) w/weld flange
*down pipe adapter flange for GT47-use your old DP for the intermediate
*oil feed and drain lines
*gaskets
*custom intercooler plumbing and downpipe
*build an intermediate pipe with a T6 weld flange adapter

To the OP, there isn't a drop in turbo that can handle B codes. You need something bigger. A modded H2E sounds like the way to go. The standard H2E is no better than a drop in turbo.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
What about the WOQS??? Might be maxing it out at 450-475hp but it will tow great...

·
Registered
860 Posts
So who is running a modded H2E with Mini me's and what kind of #s are being generated? I sure miss my MM's.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,952 Posts
I was looking( with some hints) at a similar setup with a gt38 and mini-me's

That's one of the most proven combos out there. Most dyno numbers I see with them are between 430 and 470. I ran that for a long time- daily driving, towing, racing, etc... with no issues. Adding nitrous to that combo gave me about 550-600rwhp and high 12's in the quarter with a lift and 37's.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts