Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

781 - 800 of 820 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #781
For speed loading, we always carried a couple loaded cylinders. Still not as effective as a mag swap, but better. I guess had we lived back then, we would be wondering how anybody ever fought with single shot pistols, and thankful we had six!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Then again, them boys were still fighting standing in a line with them things so I guess you were bound to hit something.

Gettysburg is a couple hour drive from here and the museums there are amazing. "Operating" tables with layers of blood stains from zero anesthesia amputations, guns guns guns, maps, and all other historia. One of the neatest exhibits there is in the one armory museum they have an entire room dedicated to mid-flight collided projectiles - bullets and a few cannonballs that actually collided mid air, there were that many flying. If there can be an entire room of FOUND ones, imagine how many are still a few inches under all those fields.

If you have another to use as a sample for the micrometer, there you go.

Any traction with trying out Ruger direct? Check this out...

$16.50 if all you need is the base pin.

Attachments

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
It's just a roll pin? Yeah, that's pretty easy. Get the other one out and measure it and I'll duplicate it for ya.
You can make pins, I think we are going to be talking here soon

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Here's a couple pics, the pin part is easy, the end that hooks to the charging handle may be a challenge.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
And yes Andy, Ruger was my first stop. They basically told me I was SOL because Ruger doesn't service those anymore, good luck with the aftermarket.

Midway also lists them for $17, but they are out of stock.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thats fairly complicated. To make that I would need another one to measure, or a blueprint.

Is it all one piece?
Yup, it's all one piece. If I was trying to make one for someone I'd want the whole gun, as it has to be fitted to a couple other parts. I've been thinking about making one myself, and that $75 bucks sounds about right for the time a guy would have involved. I have access to a lathe and such. What do you think?

Top to bottom
Base pin
Charging handle
Bullet rammer

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks. I've been contemplating turning one out of a grade 5 bolt, just for temporary, maybe someday I'll find the right one. My father has a mill, but we don't have a large selection of cutters, or hold downs, so hand files it is,

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Thanks. I've been contemplating turning one out of a grade 5 bolt, just for temporary, maybe someday I'll find the right one. My father has a mill, but we don't have a large selection of cutters, or hold downs, so hand files it is,

Get some 01 drill rod and make it out of that, it's super easy to harden and temper. That way It'll be way easier to cut with a file, then harden it when you're done.

Even with it in a softened state, filing that won't be easy. It's very difficult to file something to a dimension, keeping it flat, straight and square. You'll see what I mean. Just go slow and use sharp files. Maybe use a dremmel to get it close, then switch to files.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Get some 01 drill rod and make it out of that, it's super easy to harden and temper. That way It'll be way easier to cut with a file, then harden it when you're done.

Even with it in a softened state, filing that won't be easy. It's very difficult to file something to a dimension, keeping it flat, straight and square. You'll see what I mean. Just go slow and use sharp files. Maybe use a dremmel to get it close, then switch to files.
I'm going to have to dig, I forgot about it until you mentioned it, I may have a 2 foot piece of that I stashed. Thanks for all your guidance, I'm going to hunt around some more for a stainless one, making one is kinda a last resort. I may have to bug you for proper tempering guidance if it comes to making one

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well hello all . I’m looking at a Ruger SP101 in 357 , 3” barrel . Anyone know anything about them ? It’s going to be my truck gun / carry ....
Welcome this thread back from the dead ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Could be interesting how bout some pics

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

From the ruger site . It’s like a K frame smith and Wesson, maybe a little bit smaller ...

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Grip looks funky, I'd hold it and shoot it a bit before you buy!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This one has a hogue grip on it that’s very comfy . The stock grip is terrible I agree .

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #799
Buy the SP for your old lady to forget about in the bottom of her purse and shoot once every three months.

Get yourself the GP if you want Ruger reliability in something you don't gotta worry about beating the piss out of. Nothing wrong with the SP, other than it's an SP...

They're dinky 5 shot novelties that you will NOT like how that horrible backstrap shape punishes the web of your palm when you run full-house magnum loads thru it.... you can wrap the grip in memory foam with a beach towel wrapped around that, it's still gonna suck donkey schlong. And the heavier the bullet of course the worse it is.

The SP isn't even K frame size, it's puny. All that bashing said tho, it'll go painfully bang every time with Ruger reliability in an all STEEL weapon - but to both you as well as the scumbag you're aerating unless you let it be with 38's.

The GP on the other hand is a carbon copy of the Smith 686, which if it weren't for the existence of the Colt Python I'd pretty stiffly argue is the best non-custom (production) wheelgun to be had.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I’m looking for a good carry wheel gun . The 45 is a bit much to try to hide . I’d prefer a 357 over a 38 but I’ll probably only shoot 38 +p in it or light weight 357 .
I also looked at a Taurus model 66 with a 4” barrel in 357 , I’m tempted...but again can’t hide ... well at least not doing what I do climbing all over equipment...

781 - 800 of 820 Posts