Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

761 - 780 of 820 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
Q: "Just how many guns do you have, Andy?"

A: "Probably more than I need but not as many as I want.

Going with that in the trash comment... only throw them in the trash *after* you check to make sure it doesn't have one of those recycling arrow triangle symbols stamped in the plastic. If it does, it goes in the blue bin lol.

Nah, there are plenty of steel frame paperweights out there too.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Q: "Just how many guns do you have, Andy?"

A: "Probably more than I need but not as many as I want.

Going with that in the trash comment... only throw them in the trash *after* you check to make sure it doesn't have one of those recycling arrow triangle symbols stamped in the plastic. If it does, it goes in the blue bin lol.

Nah, there are plenty of steel frame paperweights out there too.
I answer that question with:

I have found answering that question makes people uncomfortable!

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Thank the Lord for variety !
I’ll have to say there’s honestly not a firearm that I don’t like , some fit me better then others . They all have their place , some in my closet others in the trash lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A throw away gun means something completely different to me

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
A throw away gun means something completely different to me
One that is already or gonna get bloody and tossed in the river.

Another way is to strip it into a couple pieces and throw them on top of a / several tractor trailers. One piece bounces off in Missouri the other Maine and the other.... who knows. Not just gun parts either, this works for anything small.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Another useless bit of knowledge is if you ever have the need to alter the ballistic print (how the lands and grooves impart on the bullet, what 'they' use to match a gun to a crime) of a barrel just take a step bit to the muzzle.... Ream it out a good bit and the rifling there where the reaming starts will be toast. It'll never match anything because when the test slug 'their' ballistics lab will use passes that reamed part it's gonna be all mangled and different. No match. Not guilty. If they bring up that you intentionally defaced the gun to alter evidence tell them "no, I'm just a sh!tty gunsmith trying to put a real deep crown on my barrel" and smile at them

If it's an auto and you didn't pick up your brass change the firing pin too. There's another whopping $5. Some guns, Gaston's Garbage one of them, actually print a small generic 'bar code' on the fired primer. I believe we had this discussion already.

Extractor marks aren't enough alone to match a gun, so that can stay. Besides it's like 1:3 commonality with extractor grooves in ballistics lab tests for this - meaning if you shoot 9 identical make/caliber guns 3 of them will have near identical extractor markings. Definitely not enough to convict a person.

Then go buy a new barrel at Brownells or Numrich for $89 and smile.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Thats some great info for the upcoming civil war

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
Thats some great info for the upcoming civil war
Law Enforcement are going to find their penchant for heroism a very lethal flaw.

You know what happens to wannabe heroes, right? They get themselves dead.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Another useless bit of knowledge is if you ever have the need to alter the ballistic print (how the lands and grooves impart on the bullet, what 'they' use to match a gun to a crime) of a barrel just take a step bit to the muzzle.... Ream it out a good bit and the rifling there where the reaming starts will be toast. It'll never match anything because when the test slug 'their' ballistics lab will use passes that reamed part it's gonna be all mangled and different. No match. Not guilty. If they bring up that you intentionally defaced the gun to alter evidence tell them "no, I'm just a sh!tty gunsmith trying to put a real deep crown on my barrel" and smile at them

If it's an auto and you didn't pick up your brass change the firing pin too. There's another whopping $5. Some guns, Gaston's Garbage one of them, actually print a small generic 'bar code' on the fired primer. I believe we had this discussion already.

Extractor marks aren't enough alone to match a gun, so that can stay. Besides it's like 1:3 commonality with extractor grooves in ballistics lab tests for this - meaning if you shoot 9 identical make/caliber guns 3 of them will have near identical extractor markings. Definitely not enough to convict a person.

Then go buy a new barrel at Brownells or Numrich for $89 and smile.
Don't forget the breech face. I've seen that happen on the first 48, and it was pretty clear. Also from primer flow and the pattern left over from it, The marks left as the case was ejected...all kinds of stuff.

It really is better to just completely ditch the gun altogether. Some place where nobody is ever going to find it. Don't use a safe queen. Get ya a little Saturday night special.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
Or just cut it into pieces. Then ditch it.
Oxy/acetylene it into a ball of slag. Or slag and a blob of smelly burnt plastic in some cases lol.

Breech face and how it distorts the mouth are only a way of narrowing down make/models that are known to do such distortion. Same example would be if you see a slug that's obviously from a polygonal barrel you can eliminate about 2/3rds of the other manufacturers as possibilities. But it's not a unique 'fingerprint' like rifling and firing pin impressions, just that they could narrow it down to "okay this slug came from an HK"...

But in an effort to generate a profit HK made more than one so.... Just because I happen to own one doesn't make me guilty, they're gonna have to do better than that. Circumstantial evidence at best.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Oxy/acetylene it into a ball of slag. Or slag and a blob of smelly burnt plastic in some cases lol.

Breech face and how it distorts the mouth are only a way of narrowing down make/models that are known to do such distortion. Same example would be if you see a slug that's obviously from a polygonal barrel you can eliminate about 2/3rds of the other manufacturers as possibilities. But it's not a unique 'fingerprint' like rifling and firing pin impressions, just that they could narrow it down to "okay this slug came from an HK"...

But in an effort to generate a profit HK made more than one so.... Just because I happen to own one doesn't make me guilty, they're gonna have to do better than that. Circumstantial evidence at best.
No, they matched the exact scratches left in the case head. It left a vertical pattern on the case head as it slid up the breech and was chambered. Exactly like matching rifling scratches.

Anything that's cut on the face with a cutter, like an end mill, will have a different surface finishes when viewed close enough. Even from two otherwise identical parts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
No, they matched the exact scratches left in the case head. It left a vertical pattern on the case head as it slid up the breech and was chambered. Exactly like matching rifling scratches.

Anything that's cut on the face with a cutter, like an end mill, will have a different surface finishes when viewed close enough. Even from two otherwise identical parts.

Ahh gotcha. Are there manufacturers now doing that on every slide that comes down the line? I've seen it here and there, and have an early 90's Smith 5904 that was a SC State Police trade in that they intentionally milled the bolt face so that fired cases have two vertical depressions the entire case head. They extend rim to rim and at their deepest (deepest meant in towards the primer from the rim, not depth like a step) are about 1mm deep from the 3 and 6 o'clock position from the edge of the rim.

Sucks in a way because IMO I don't trust the brass to reload it, the depressions are just deep enough to raise concern so that's just enough to throw the brass in the scrap bin and not risk chaos.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Ahh gotcha. Are there manufacturers now doing that on every slide that comes down the line? I've seen it here and there, and have an early 90's Smith 5904 that was a SC State Police trade in that they intentionally milled the bolt face so that fired cases have two vertical depressions the entire case head. They extend rim to rim and at their deepest (deepest meant in towards the primer from the rim, not depth like a step) are about 1mm deep from the 3 and 6 o'clock position from the edge of the rim.

Sucks in a way because IMO I don't trust the brass to reload it, the depressions are just deep enough to raise concern so that's just enough to throw the brass in the scrap bin and not risk chaos.
Yeah, anything that is machined will have a certain surface finish, depending on harmonics in the part and tool, also depending on chip evacuation, the surface finish looks like a record under a microscope. That's what they were matching up on the video I saw. The pattern the surface finish left on the case head. And it was pretty clear, that gun was definitely used in the crime.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
That is where you shoot reloaded brass or brass that has been shot at least once in another firearm.......screws up all identifiable marks.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
That is where you shoot reloaded brass or brass that has been shot at least once in another firearm.......screws up all identifiable marks.

I got a great laugh outta that

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is anybody still messing with black powder?

Recently inherited a Ruger Old Army 45, it's complete, kinda had a hard life, but it's stainless and structurally sound. However, the base pin is missing. ( Cylinder pin ). Ruger doesn't have any, and I've called my local stores, no luck yet. I've found a couple aftermarket suppliers, but they want $75 dollars for one. I believe it was Jack First and Gun Garage.

Anybody have any better ideas?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Try Numrich's, I think that is how it is spelled

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Try Numrich's, I think that is how it is spelled
They changed hands and have a different name now, they didn't have any either, I forgot to mention that I tried them. Thanks though, I'll try to remember to get their new name for y'all.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
They changed hands and have a different name now, they didn't have any either, I forgot to mention that I tried them. Thanks though, I'll try to remember to get their new name for y'all.

Aw man, Numrich is done or just someone else? Phuck if they are...

I bet @jamiesaun could turn one for you for a fraction of that $75 if the specs can be found. Over the interim, have you experimented with like a 10 or 12d framing nail cut off and customized?

I have an old percussion cap ROA and while it's an arduous process to load it (I use a swipe of Crisco in front of the ball instead of much expensiver Bore Butter) but the dam thing hits everything I point it at and I gotta admit it is a ton of fun. Just to wonder while shooting it what it was like to have to fight with those archaic yet robust and simple pieces. My God, it took me all of two seconds to rap off six now I'm down for two minutes to reload!? Is this some kind of sick joke?! I'm used to it taking barely a second to slap in thirty more and be back in heavy metal mode.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
No no, Numerich is still around, just a different name.
I have another Old Army with the same pin, but it's blued, so I'm searching for a stainless one.

The Crisco works great, bore butter smells better, but I rarely care about how I smell after target practice. I've also used leftover mineral based railroad grease. No idea what it is exactly, horrible smelling stuff.

For speed loading, we always carried a couple loaded cylinders. Still not as effective as a mag swap, but better. I guess had we lived back then, we would be wondering how anybody ever fought with single shot pistols, and thankful we had six!

761 - 780 of 820 Posts