Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 820 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not, right? If it doesn't take off it'll just push itself down the list into obscurity.

Earlier this morning I left to hopefully come home with an 'excellent' K-22 but the only excellent thing about it was it's rust. Hour ride for nothing.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
I was just thinking about doing this topic, was still thinking of a title.

Sub'd

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Ya got to love those private sellers.

But even with rust as long as the bore was still good it should clean up pretty good if you could get it for the right price.

Years ago I saw a Colt 1911 for sale so I headed out to take a look at it. It turned out to be a widow lady who was selling it because she needed some money. It had belonged to here husband who brought it home from the Pacific after WWII. It was as close to being a rust bucket as it could be. She only wanted $50 for it. I gave here a $100 bill and took it home.

After letting the whole pistol sit in some kerosene for a week the action loosened up enough to work quite smoothley and I was able to disassemble it with out using a hammer. Then with some fine emery boards and fine sandpaper I went to work on it. On the finer parts I used some Navel Jelly and a tooth brush along with a brass brush.

A month later I did a hot blueing job on it and it looked as close to a good used pistol as it could get. It was hard tracing the serial number and about all I could come up with was that it was issued in 1943 to the Marine Corps. I also took it out to the range and found that it was a great shooter, the cleaning job and a little work with the emery board and a Arkansas Stone had smoothed it up to make the trigger pull like snapping a dry twig.

I took it down to a gun show and one person there offered me $800 for it.

That is one pistol that I highly regret ever selling.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish, the rustbucket was in a shop on the northern fringes of Filthydelphia so now I'm dealing with weekend traffic and entirely too many "people of color."

Somewhat relevant, but maybe I should post this in the 6.4 section - I had a full box of ammo out of it's box but still in the plastic carrier thing on my dashboard while countryside riding it. Well, half of it ended up going down the defroster vents. Is there an easy way to get at whatever low point they all fell to or is this "hack it with a hole saw and duct tape" kind of cure.... The sound of vibrating brass is getting annoying.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Bugman Nah the bore was shot, could barely discern that there ever was rifling there. I agree with you tho, a little bit of patience and some help from Birchwood Casey and you can bring 'junk' back to life.

What make was the 1911? A true Colt? Some of those oddballs made by parking meter and typewriter companies are worth a fortune to the right want-er.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
That is gonna suck, but being a newer truck they may have gone to the evap box. Or pull the dash and defroster vents.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is gonna suck, but being a newer truck they may have gone to the evap box. Or pull the dash and defroster vents.
Or take a hole saw to the low point and just let them rattle out. Fuvk pulling the dash.

Was hoping maybe I could go in to the heater core behind the dash and luck out.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
@Bugman Nah the bore was shot, could barely discern that there ever was rifling there. I agree with you tho, a little bit of patience and some help from Birchwood Casey and you can bring 'junk' back to life.

What make was the 1911? A true Colt? Some of those oddballs made by parking meter and typewriter companies are worth a fortune to the right want-er.
It was a true WWII Colt.

I think that is what brought such a high price for it when I sold it. I figured that after I restored it that I would be looking at the $200-$300 range and it surprised me at what they offered.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a true WWII Colt.

I think that is what brought such a high price for it when I sold it. I figured that after I restored it that I would be looking at the $200-$300 range and it surprised me at what they offered.
Those "pre-series" (70 & 80) 1911s fetch some coin. @jamiesaun to chime in, he loves them too. I pin all my grip safeties on 1911s anyway and put a solid barrel bushing in. Now it's a modern version. Only thing I don't like on the old ones is that internal extractor.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
Or take a hole saw to the low point and just let them rattle out. Fuvk pulling the dash.

Was hoping maybe I could go in to the heater core behind the dash and luck out.
If it has an A/C filter then maybe

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I believe that the filter will be up high and way before where the shells would fall down to.

My bets they are jingling around the blend doors. I have no idea but you might be able to get to something if you can pull the blower fan/motor out and then reach inside.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Those "pre-series" (70 & 80) 1911s fetch some coin. @jamiesaun to chime in, he loves them too. I pin all my grip safeties on 1911s anyway and put a solid barrel bushing in. Now it's a modern version. Only thing I don't like on the old ones is that internal extractor.
Ah yes, the model 1911 and, later, the m1911a1. The locked breech, short recoil, tiping barrel design that changed pistols forever. Any locked breech pistol is designed on either this principal or the oscillating block designed by Walther, as far as I know. Berettas, for instance are the oscillating block variety. If the barrel tilts out of battery, it's based off the 1911. The gun is that iconic, and the man behind it was a true genius and the best firearms inventor that ever lived.

Yes, during WW2 the 1911 was made by a few different companies, including Singer Sewing Machines. Those guns are quite rare and fetch a hefty premium. Some battle guns we're even engraved with what islands they went to. Engraved right there in the machine shop of whatever ship it was on. Those are obviously very valuable.

Personally, I much prefer the modern amenities of today's 1911's. The old ones are still cool though.

The original, and the later a2 model.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that the filter will be up high and way before where the shells would fall down to.

My bets they are jingling around the blend doors. I have no idea but you might be able to get to something if you can pull the blower fan/motor out and then reach inside.
I wonder what will happen when I get back to it and switch the blend from floor to defrost to vents. Haven't done that since it happened.

On the 1911, I think more modern pistols have been copied off John Browning's design than any Mauser/Walther design than any other. The only others would be gas operated like a Desert Eagle or the roller delayed Korth style but only select few that fetch thousands of dollars a piece

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I wonder what will happen when I get back to it and switch the blend from floor to defrost to vents. Haven't done that since it happened.

On the 1911, I think more modern pistols have been copied off John Browning's design than any Mauser/Walther design than any other. The only others would be gas operated like a Desert Eagle or the roller delayed Korth style but only select few that fetch thousands of dollars a piece
Been contemplating on that, I wonder if you play with the doors, with the right front tire up on a dirt hill, maybe get them to roll out.

Or turn the truck upside down and shake it with your excavator.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd be too tempted to just dig a hole and bury the thing. I love 6.4's but man can they be a pain.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Lol, yeah. Well the getting the right side elevated works for 1/4 inch sockets down a Mazda, so figured I'd mention it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts

Definitely. That pistol design was revolutionary and light years ahead of it time. It completely changed everything. Most pistols are now locked breech, tilting bbl, short recoil. The desert eagle is an odd ball for sure, I don't know much about it. I don't know much about the oscillating block variety either, the Berettas and whatnot. I basically only deal with tilting bbl designs. Which is a lot, because it was copied more than any other. He perfected it with the High-power when he ditched the bbl link. That's the design that was copied by everybody else ever since.

Well, I also work on the occasional straight blowback designs, but I'm not a huge fan of those. Not in a pistol anyway. Highpoints for example.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol Hi Point. Trust your life on $150.

I don't know if it's out there because of copyright whatever but check out the locking mechanism on the Korth 9mm. It's a roller delayed mechanism directly stolen from the HK MP series, and it's so much typical German overengineering but it's reliable. A buddy has one that he paid like 5 grand for but it ain't my money so whoopee. It hits same hole groups all day long too.

I don't know why IMI/Desert Eagle went with their dirt loving AR-15 cloned turning bolt gas system but it works and it makes recoil almost nonexistent. Never experienced a gas starvation jam with mine like I have on.....every AR style rifle I've run. Thank the heavens HK made us the '416 short stroke action. Now that rifle is gates of hell worthy. With a 1911 on my hip. Bye bye Beretta, there's only one devil and I don't need all them bullets.

Prior to the 416 I'd have grabbed a Garand or an M14

1 - 20 of 820 Posts