Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious on people's thoughts on this.
Probably going to get a set of Swamps Single Shot 175/146's or 200's.
Definitely getting an Adrenaline (right now with stock 17* and stock injectors, we drop to 1780PSI at WOT in Position 4)

Now here's the deal- we are at right around 6000 feet above sea level. The air is a wee more rare up here. A completely stock truck can surge noticeably going over I-70 towing 6000lbs.

So we need plenty of air to feed the beasty, and try to keep EGT's down. Currently we can see 1600 degrees if we are hauling 500 gallons of water up the hill. At 1200 degrees we can't accelerate and on the bigger hills have to slow up a bit. Thats 4000lbs. Kind of sad for stock injectors.

This truck is mostly used for a daily driver with a tendency to show off occasionally, but is used to tow up to 10,000lbs on occasion.

Whats going to treat us best?

·
Registered
316 Posts
i live a sea level so i dont have any surge but i think your going to love the gattett but if it's for the 99 i dont think it will fit but i might be wrong something about early or late model

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Late is the same as 2000 and on.

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
how much power do you really want? your gona want an injector with a smaller nozzle on it to help your egts..honistly with alot of towing I would go with some stage ones and a 38r..you will be around 400hp at the wheels and should have plenty of air to keep your egts managable

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if we could it'd be a cryo'd and built into oblivion long block with a common rail setup and compounds turbos, and anything else we could get. lol. But not quite made of money heh.
I'd love to be able to make the majority of the hot-shot cummins boys around here eat their shorts, but still be safe to tow.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
I know if you piut a 1.15 housing on a 38R it will never surge. I would get either of those injectors and the right tunes for it and you should not have to worry with either of those turbos. If your EGTs are still on the higher end after your injectors and a turbo then put some water injection on it and run straight water. NO METH just water. You will never see your EGTs go over 1100.

Drove a truck of a member on here with a 50ft flatbed behind it and my truck on it so about 15-16K from OK out to SOCAL. Live tuned, water injected, 238 hybrids with stock nozzles and I never saw over 1000 degrees and that was keeping 70 up anything along I-40. I beleive for a turbo it was a QSSB. No problems with spool either but keep in mind with all of this he had 4.88s in the truck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh... 3.73's with 315/75's. lol.

So what about waste-gated versus non? Overspooling the turbo a concern?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you go with hybrids you can definitely run with those dodge boys(or they can run with you) and just have a small towing tune.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
4.88s and highway prob has the rpms up and above surge level.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3.73:1 one-leggers.
Roughly 10% speedo error.
Having to dance away from 1300+ degrees gets old. Crazy fluttering gets old. The massive bark when you let off the throttle gets old....

I'd rather not be able to peg the pyro.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Do you have any boost leaks? With Tonys tuning on my truck I can't get over 1300. Even driving I 70 to silt I could run 15 psi in OD at 75 and had no issues.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No leaks I know of. I likely ought to get a detector kit. But regardless, piss-poor HPO pressures and bad thrust wear.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
I had zero issues peggin the EGT gauge during a work trip to colorado with a 1.0 housing on a BB turbo. That was in the hot tunes I meant, once I turned it down to a DD or Tow tune it was manageable. Might try the 1.15 on whatever you get.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of what I'm really curious about though... What are really the differences in the GTP38R and H2E?
I mean, I have crushed the factory IC pipes a few times trying to get the damn boots to seal (and every time Scott at Collins Muffler swedges it for me. Awesome guy)
So the idea of some potentially stronger IC pipes would be nice.
And I've read that the H2E has a better drive pressure ratio. That'd be nice.

I mean, I dunno what the real benefits are versus one or another. Noone will sit down and explain why one is better or not. I'd love to know so I'm not making a blind decision.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Bob at dieselsite has boots. A lil hair spray and a some torque and you should be good to go.

I was more worried about your up pipes. But seeing that your HPOP is probably not atomizing very well, that could be alot of it.

I would go with the 38r. Judging the size of injectors that most guys are running they can take abuse and they are a drop in.

The h2e has the potential to be "modded" which from what I understand is the way to go. But it takes a few bucks to get there.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
The difference and help me out everybody.

H2e: T4 flange, larger framed turbo then the 38R, journal bearing, able to be modded and make larger, Higher price but it is a full kit seeing as its a T4. There is a bunch of other stuff to.

I like the 38R but I dont tow much. I have driven 2 trucks with a H2e. One was pulling some wieght from Chicago to VA across some big grades and was awesome! It does not spool as fast as the 38R but the EGTs stay low with it since it is a larger turbo. You also have to remember it is all in the tunes to. Good tunes on your reburn with the new injectors and a turbo should keep your EGTs in check. Just search for old postings on here about the 2. I have read threads like this all the time so there is a bunch out there to learn from.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
H2e... And then mod it when you go bigger...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can not say nothing on the 38r.. I have not had one.. I like my h2 alot it is alot more work to put on but.. I like that it can grow up with your truck.. and i would talk to one of the injector bulders and your tuners .. and see what thay say most have seen it all..

What kind of Hp you lookin for??

What i would do is a 38r or a h2 with 238/80 Hybrid's or close to and a good tow tune all the way up to a dodge eater tune:evil.. and i didnt see if ya had fule but that is a good idea.. also..:ford:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I currently hold 72PSI fuel pressure all the way to redline. That'll probably change once HPO pressures are sufficient let alone bigger sticks.

At this elevation you can't use too big of sticks or you have nothing but a smog and heat machine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts