1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

.58 A/R Compressor Housing
.95 A/R Turbine Housing

T4 Divided Flange

This is that turbo I had been talking about. Nice setup.
82mm Exducer, 50 trim.

77mm turbine diameter.

Probably not enough gain to justify a T4 conversion, right?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol... While yeah, it is for sale, I was putting it up to show what I had gotten and asked about earlier.

I kinda figured after I found the stock turbo exducer size of 80mm, and knowing this one is 82mm, there probably wouldn't be enough gain to justify the T4 conversion.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It would only be a slight upgrade if any, prolly not do what a 38r would.

That wastegate actuator will not fit between the intake y after you get it mounted anyway (mounted 90* like Hypermax). If you tried to cock it like the stock one sits it would hit the head, to go high enough you would have to mod the cowl, or go to a non gated housing which the turbine will HAVE to have a gate on one that small.

Not worth it IMO.

I could maybe use it on another project possibly, how much?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make a reasonable offer for an unused turbo...
As a fun sidenote.... According to the International tag on it, traced through part numbers, it should be off of either a 540 or 466 cubic inch International I-6

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it listed as 2003....

As per the tag

INTERNATIONAL
P/N: 1820939C92
S/N: 2200-07 GT4082

GARRETT by Allied Signal

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The numbers you gave are honestly kinda useless to most people. We want to know the inducer of the compressor side and the exducerof the turbine side. Those numbers, along with the A/R's for both sides, will tell us what the turbo can do.

It is kinda cute though! ;) LOL

Dave

·
Edumacted
171 Posts
.58 A/R Compressor Housing
.95 A/R Turbine Housing

T4 Divided Flange

This is that turbo I had been talking about. Nice setup.
82mm Exducer, 50 trim.

77mm turbine diameter.

Probably not enough gain to justify a T4 conversion, right?
He gave the sizes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The compressor inducer is 58mm.

Knowing that the Turbine inducer must be 77mm, as the larger diameter of the turbine is the inducer, where gasses flow in, and that the trim is 73, we can calculate thusly-

Trim=(Inducer^2/Exducer^2) x 100

So we need to find Exducer, knowing that Trim=73 and Inducer=77

If my math serves me... Which I'd not be shocked if it didn't lol

Exducer^2=(Trim/100) x Inducer^2
Exducer=(Square Root of <Trim/100>) x Inducer
Exducer=(Square Root of <73/100>) x 77
E=Mc^2... No, wait, we aren't talking about mass, speed of light, or energy....
lol.
E=Square Root of .73, which is .8544, x 77.

E=.8544 x 77

E= 65.7888mm

To test-
73= (77^2/65.7888^2) x 100

(5929/4328.1662)=1.3699.... WTF mate. Hahaha. And a big, long, public display of why I told my math teacher to cram it. LOL.

HOWEVER!! I Know why it seems buggered.. And by that formula, it really should be right. However, to match the results of a trim of 73 of Garrett's catalog, Swap Inducer and Exducer. I think the equation I found is the Compressor equation.

SO!!

73=(4328.1662/5929) x 100
4328.1662/5929= .729999, or for all realistic intents and purposes, .73

73=(.73) x 100
73=73.

See? That wasn't so hard to find for you!!

:doh:

COMPRESSOR-
Inducer= 58mm
Exducer= 82mm
Trim= 50
A/R= 0.58

TURBINE-
Inducer= 77mm
Exducer= 65.7888mm
Trim= 73
A/R= 0.95

I'm definitely not stupid, just occasionally ignorant... I'd rather know why you can't calculate it yourself or why you need to know those numbers as opposed to the others. Just for the diameter restrictions of the compressor inlet and the turbine outlet?

It does have the divided style compressor inlet, I believe they call it a "Bleed ring"? It has a slit between the larger diameter opening and the smaller opening, a bit down on the inducer. I'd imagine this would slightly improve flow over a standard 58mm inducer?

Educate me lol. I'm always up to learn more, even if sometimes I sound not too bright. I've only been around the block a handful of times.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It has a slit between the larger diameter opening and the smaller opening, a bit down on the inducer. I'd imagine this would slightly improve flow over a standard 58mm inducer?

That is called anti-surge porting, and it allows air to escape on lift...it gives it a way around the spinning wheel instead of back through it.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
At almost 4am for my last post, math is not friendly. :doh: But thank you for working it out in a post, or as my Math teacher used to say, showing all the work. :ford:

The reason I asked for those numbers, is that those are the ones normally quoted to determine a turbos size. If you give a turbo builder your wheel measurements, he's going to think you've got alot larger turbo than you do, until you say it's a GT40.

Also, you can have a compressor wheel with say an 88mm exducer, but either a 62mm or 66mm inducer, if you tell me the inducer I know which one you're talking about, the exducer number could be either.

The slit you speak of is called the MWE, the Map Width Enhancement (groove). Depending on the shaft speed it either allows additional air to the compressor wheel, allows air to bleed from it, or neither.

At low shaft speeds the MWE will bleed air from the compressor wheel, helping to limit surging. At moderate shaft speeds, the MWE will neither bleed nor introduce air to the wheel, and at high shaft speeds the wheel will draw in additional air through the MWE. In short. it helps to broaden the compressor map, hence the name.

Just as an example, my single is a BW 76/88/1.32. Or for all the info it's a 76/101 96/88 T4 1.32 A/R S476 ETT. Not to mention the compressor wheel is clipped, the MWE grooove is well, enhanced, and I have both 2.6 and 3.0 covers for it. LOL

Instead of that mouthfull, I'd rather just say it's a 76/88/1.32, and have whoever I'm talking to know in a nutshell what it is.

Hopefully that was more helpful than my last post.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts