Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i hit a bit of mud on a backroad and something started making a grinding noise. sitting in the cab i can hear it from idle up in all gears, i think it could be the turbo but i dont know if it could be something in the tranny. i can hear it coming from the center , i can tell if from the trans tunnel or the firewall. any help appreciated. thanks matt

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Sounds like you have mud in your brakes, may have gotten into a bad u-joint cap too mabey. Try riding your brakes and see if the sound goes away or changes, try driving in reverse too and see if thesound is different.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no it happenes when the truck is moving or not, it has something to do with the motor or trans, from what i think my turbo might be going, the compressor wheel rubbing on the housing or maybe in the trans

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
no it happenes when the truck is moving or not, it has something to do with the motor or trans, from what i think my turbo might be going, the compressor wheel rubbing on the housing or maybe in the trans
If the comp wheel is rubbing you'll get a howling squeel more than grinding. Pull the orange rubber boot off the intake of the turbo and give the comp wheel a wiggle and see if its loose, look at the fins on the turbo and see if the fins are chipped or broken. Does the grinding get progressivly worse as your rmps increase?

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i figured out what was wrong, the mud i went through pushed the DP up and it was rubbing bad on the floor. it also started to seperate at the middle of the 2 piece DP and was leaking bad . thanks for your help and suggestions guys

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
i figured out what was wrong, the mud i went through pushed the DP up and it was rubbing bad on the floor. it also started to seperate at the middle of the 2 piece DP and was leaking bad . thanks for your help and suggestions guys
A "bit" of mud pushed your downpipe up? LOL Remind me to stay off of your backroads, I thought ours were bad!

Dave

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A "bit" of mud pushed your downpipe up? LOL Remind me to stay off of your backroads, I thought ours were bad!

Dave
LOL it was more than a bit, thats saskatchewan for ya

1 - 9 of 9 Posts