Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Grinding from Low Range to 4-HI

727 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  howell_jd 
#1 ·
Hay all, Ive had the powerstroke in low range quite a few time this week traveling to and from the cabin, and I have noticed that when I go from lo range back to "4x4", the tranfer case grinds. I have to bring it back to nuetral for it to stop.

I have looked up the SOP on low range transfer, but heres my process. From either 4 HI or 2WD, I stop the truck, put it in nuetral, then into low range. Then from 4 LO, I put it in nuetral, then usually to 4 HI. When I do this, I get grinding. But if I go from low range to 2WD, I dont have any grinding issues.

Let me know what you guys think, also if this is a common issue. Search gave me no results....

#4 ·
The service life for the transfer case fluid is 60k miles according to the book but if my truck's transfer case were grinding, I'd pull a sample for spectrometal analysis and change it out to be safe (the transfer case fluid is a lot cheaper than the transfer case itself). You can pull a sample through the fill point using a siphon or just drain it all and sample during the drain. The capacity of the transfer case is 4 pints (that's 2 quarts).

Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.