Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, when I lock my aftermarket manual hubs on my 1997 f 250 with the Dana 50 and drive, there is a grinding noise that is coming from the drivers front tire area. This is in 2wd hubs locked and 4wd.
Seems to be more prevalent just as you release throttle or just as you are pressing down. Hubs unlocked=no noise.
Front diff is full of oil, jacked up the drivers tire and hand spun it around with hub locked/unlocked not much noise difference. Front driveshaft ujoints have no play. There is a 4” lift on the truck.
I’m leaning towards a bad spindle bearing just wanted to post to see if anyone has had this issue before to confirm.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It sounds like you are going in for a look-see anyway, but an easy way I was taught to check the needle bearings is to use a pry bar between the lower ball joint and the yoke on the outer axle shaft. If it moves up and down a great deal, it's likely the needle bearings. It's also a good time to poke around and check the u-joint in the knuckle while you are under there with a bar. Sometimes a shake test won't always show a bad u-joint.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Forgot to add, last needle bearing failure I had, if you unlocked the hubs, put the transfer case in 4 high, it made all kinds of alarming noises starting at a crawling speed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts