Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Nation

Here is what I have going on 1997 F350 2wd 300k automatic. Was running great then one day she starts cutting out under power. changed the CPS and it got better for a short period of time. Changed it again and all was good for a week or so. then it died at intersection and will only start for 30sec or so then dies like you shut the key off. Over the weekend I had time to pull the harness off my other truck and changed out the Main wiring Harness for the engine. have also swapped IDM and no change. here is the kicker sometimes the Tach registers when cranking sometimes nothing.

here is a list of parts changed

CPS
engine wiring harness
ICP
IDM
GPR
Fluids and Filters

Possible ideas
PCM?
IPR

any help because I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. I have a complete parts truck that was running until I pulled the harness can the pcm from a standard be installed in an automatic?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Both fuel tanks full? Reason I mention this and I may be way off, but sometime the fuel pick up screen in tank will plug up with debris or the screen assembly will deteriorate, fall off and plug the pick up and or fall off. You’ve probably checked this, but have a look at the fuel bowl heater inside the fuel filter canister, (wire in bottom of bowl to ensure it’s snug and not shorting out. Also check to ensure the tin nut on back of IPR is snug and plug is secure. I’ve found on a couple occasions Diesel fuel over time will degrade the IPR plug and wire insulation causing a short right at the plug.

Where are you located, someone nearby might have autoenginuity or scanner to help.

Sometime these can be a bugger to get sorted, I know how you feel.... sometime it feels like the solution is to douse it and toss a match at it, resist the urge... walk away, chew on it, read here, try something else.
Hang in there you’ll get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info JCart

I am located in Corpus Christi, TX

Fuel is over half tank and should be good. Plenty in bowl and had pressure at the schrader valve when I was cranking to re prime after the new fuel pump.
The fuel bowl heater has been deleted when i had it short out several years ago. Had to replace the engine valley harness at that time as well as the CPS and IDM melted the fuel heater wire into the harness and caused quite the witch hunt. (It never gets that cold in South Texas so i figured it was not super necessary)
The IPR Tin nut is on my hit list for the evening as well as a re inspection of the wiring in the valley.

Yes, yesterday was almost its last day as a viable truck as the matches were handy. Lucky for it the new ULSD is a pain to light and i burnt my finger. lol
Thank you for the encouraging words and hopefully we can figure the old girl out soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m pretty new here and I’m learning every day but you mentioned replacing CPS, did you replace it with a black or grey color sensor? I’ve read the grey are the updated version and solved the cutting out issue for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my mind if the tax sometimes registers and sometimes doesn’t it’s got to be a CPS problem or CPS circuit problem. Do you have auto ingenuity? I don’t have it but I use a free beta version ofFORscan for PC That works pretty good for 99% of things. Should be able to look at your CPS circuit with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts