Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figures the sub zero temps hit and now it seems like the glow plug relay is not working even though it tests good. Gonna take a meter to it to make sure it's getting full voltage. Frigging thing is a bear to get started.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
Take a screw driver and jump the 2 large posts on the GPR for about 15-20 seconds, it should start right up. Just a PITA having to pop the hood every cold morning, but whatever you gotta do to get you through the winter. Or get a Stancor relay

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
That ^^^^^ sounds like a wiring or glow plug problem, not the relay itself. Try disconnecting the UVCHs, then turn the key to RUN. If it no longer clicks, then the problem is downstream. Have you measured the resistance of the glow plugs?

BTW, did you make sure to get a relay that does NOT ground through its mounting plate?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only started that after I changed out the gpr. The old one still worked fine just had a cracked case so I figured out I should change it out. These are from napa. How do u tell if it grounds through the mount. Would oil do this as well? I always used rotela until a few months back when I had injector orings done and then I just tossed in Walmart crap. I know when I first bought it it would do the same thing. But has been good the last few years running rotela. I K noticed last night when I went to top up the oil it was so thick it would barley come out. Rotela never got that bad

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Put an ohmmeter between the mount and each of the small terminals on the relay (wires disconnected). If either one shows continuity with the mount, the relay WON'T work in our trucks.

Have you LOAD tested the batteries? Another possibility is that the batteries are marginal, and the plugs are drawing so much, they're pulling the voltage down, which de-powers the PCM, which opens the relay. This in turn reduces the battery load, allowing them to recover voltage-wise, which re-powers the PCM, which energizes the relay, which loads the batteries once again. This cycle, happening in quick succession, would resultin the relay clicking on and off. As said, measuring glow plug resistance would shed some light as well.

Oil wouldn't affect this. Oil does pour slow at these temps. I had to top up the other day, 15F, even Mobil 1 5w40 poured slow.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Batteries are only a year old. When I run a meter and tested voltage I was getting about 11.8 and that was after 2 hard starts and a short drive not even enough to bring it back up. It seems that as long as the block had a little heat in it after a few hours but as soon as the block is ice cold I'm done for..hehe. Think I'll order a new valve cover gasket and glow plugs. I'm sure it's way over due. Pretty sure I had a few faulty many this sub 0 temp took out a few more?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Under what circumstances did you get the 11.8V? Key off, key on? Engine running? Had the glow plugs timed out? Have you checked them separately?

Have you LOAD tested them?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked both Batts and they were both in the area of 12.8 give or take. Get 11.8 when I first turn the key on. Have not had a chance to load test yet but pretty sure it's not batteries as I have had them run way down and bad and it always fired up just really dragged the starter down to the point I thought I was going to need a jump. I did notice that when I went out to get the voltages the relay was buzzing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would oil soaked valve cover electrical connections cause a issue with glow plugs? No burnt connectors just seem to be wetter than I remember while the other side is dry

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
If the connections are oily due to oil "ooze" through the VC gasket connection, it usually indicates that the connection has gotten hot enough to (start) melting the plastic of the gasket. The pins are molded into the gaskt and should not leak oil. You may have issues under the covers ... UVCHs. I always recommend changing the gasket if any of the connections have burned or melted. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Gezzz hate looking for parts in Canada sometimes. Most of my searches come back to a us site. Trying to find gp for cheaper than $20 a pop.

Look at RiffRaff out of Oregon, I just received a number of parts from Clay awesome customer service and good pricing too. I know the dealerships here in Kamloops two ford and one IH are brutal in respect to parts pricing. E.g., IPR $495 from ford. Injector o-ring kit from IH $20 per kit. I used to shop local exclusively as a first priority, but parts, (exact same) for significantly less, as much as 1/2 to 1/3 the cost... I just can't support that business model any more.

http://http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/motorcraft-glowplugs-zd-11/

Cheers

jrc

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've notice since switching to a Stancor GP Relay 1. I'm not replacing the GPR every 18 months and 2. Seems the GPs are lasting longer on my trucks and I not burned up any VC/UVC wiring plugs and/or pins. I do use a quality dialectic grease too and maybe that helps as well.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
does RiffRaff ship USPS? you save a ton of money on phoney 'brokerage fees' over UPS
unless you have the time to use a service like PackageExpress or ShipHappens in Sumas or Blaine I would try and get US suppliers to send via USPS

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look at RiffRaff out of Oregon, I just received a number of parts from Clay awesome customer service and good pricing too. I know the dealerships here in Kamloops two ford and one IH are brutal in respect to parts pricing. E.g., IPR $495 from ford. Injector o-ring kit from IH $20 per kit. I used to shop local exclusively as a first priority, but parts, (exact same) for significantly less, as much as 1/2 to 1/3 the cost... I just can't support that business model any more.

http://http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/motorcraft-glowplugs-zd-11/

Cheers

jrc
Ya i know the feeling of those prices... just did my injector o rings this summer. Time all was said and done it was a 800 bill and 1/2 of that was the parts from ford.. Did not have time to wait for shipping on that one. Did you have to pay any extra shipping other than what was on the bill?
now the old girl is running good again must be a definite gasket issue

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Clay at RiffRaff said he tries to ship everything via USPS into Canada as he is aware of the Courier cost and the import keerap charges, (just PST/GST paid). I thought we had a free trade agreement in place such that products with the origin of the USA and/or North American auto parts where exempt from import duties. And thereby no need for import fees?

Purolator shipment from Tim @ PIS just paid the GST/PST.

j

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
that is good to know I will add RiffRaff to my 'go-to' list

1 - 19 of 19 Posts