Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 f350. Can the front wheel bearings be removed,repacked with grease and replaced without buying any new parts or will i need to replace some things like seals or something? Also will i need any extra tools?

·
Registered
539 Posts
As long as there isn't pitting in the bearing or looks like it's been burnt/discolored. Otherwise yes you can repack. Going to need a 4pin, I like to use like a dentist pick it's a helpful tool when removing hub assembly to get to bearing

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
02 4x4 has a unit bearing correct

do you have ABS senders on that unit ?
if so you can grease through there just use a good grease and not a graphite type

easiest done with the bearing out like if your doing the main VAC seal

·
Registered
115 Posts
i think hes referring to an obs, not a superduty. they dont use a unit bearing. To get the hub out, you need a speical big socket that has four grooves in it

·
Registered
853 Posts
Take the abs sensor out get a rubber tipped grease fitting for a manual grease gun and fill that sucker up

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
This is great to know! I thought it was a sealed unit. My bearing has been complaining on left turns and my ABS light has started staying on. Don't know if it is too far gone? I jacked it up and there is the slightest amount of play. I'm going to try and grease it as a temporary measure until I can buy a new unit. I learn so much on here! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What brand of grease would you all suggest? I typically use Mobil 1 Syntetic (the pink stuff) for all my u-joints and ball joints.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Wolf's Head Red Lithium Complex... It holds up to water better than any other I've tried and it's super viscous and doesn't 'sling' off.. Only problem, since Valvoline bought out Wolf's Head it's become really hard to find. I managed to get 5 cases of tubes in my last order but that's nowhere near gonna last me the rest of my life.
I don't know if they still make it but it's available online, plus shipping of course... The days of walking in the local auto store and finding it are gone.

:mad::mad:

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
water shouldn't be an issue inside a unit bearing that is sealed and sits inside a sealed cavity ( just sayin LOL)

I used some red EP wheel bearing grease I had the unit bearing out and I about crapped when i put about 1/2 a cartridge of grease into the bearing before the old stuff started to expel past the seals

that bearing had about 85k and is still fine today102,000 but so is it's sister that got
no love

I am actually pulling that side soon since the vacuum seal failed ( same reason i pulled the other side ) and I will lube it up then

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Yep I grease threw the abs port with rif rafs grease fitting and at every 10,000 miles it takes atleast a quarter tube before I start getting drag. If your abs light is on your too far gone to start greasing now as the bearing is coming apart and the metal is grounding out the abs sensor to the hub. It has very little life left in it now. Ive been buying the cheapies at $104 a piece and greasing them every 10k to 15k miles and so far these have been going for 2 years with no problems but before I was changing out wheel bearings every 6 to 8 months when I wasnt greasing them. So not im getting triple the life out of the cheapies (after going threw 10 wheel bearings in 6 years and most were timkins).

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
ya know as I sit here with 100,000 miles on my timkens one was greased at high milage the other never plus look at my tire size

I recently looked into some sellers on Amazon who were selling "Timkens" but stated Timken uses other MFGs to make their bearings so the bearing may not say Timken ?

I called BS i contacted Timken's fraud dept and sure enough there is no shortage of counterfeit and misrepresented parts

but I can not see how in gods name someone would smoke a Timken bearing every 1.6
years ? unless something was wrong and it can't really be installer error so IDK

·
Registered
616 Posts
ya know as I sit here with 100,000 miles on my timkens one was greased at high milage the other never plus look at my tire size

I recently looked into some sellers on Amazon who were selling "Timkens" but stated Timken uses other MFGs to make their bearings so the bearing may not say Timken ?

I called BS i contacted Timken's fraud dept and sure enough there is no shortage of counterfeit and misrepresented parts

but I can not see how in gods name someone would smoke a Timken bearing every 1.6
years ? unless something was wrong and it can't really be installer error so IDK
:stupid: I replaced one original (Timkin) at 176,000 miles. I very rarely have to replace any wheel bearing through my shop on the Superdutys. Something must be wrong...

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
I was planning on replacing my failing bearing with a Moog replacement. Are they any good? I will definately be greasing them in the future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts