Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have power on the main post and one of the smaller wires (forget the color) going to my gpr. however i have no power to the glow plugs when the key is on and everyhting its powered. As soon as i grounded out the other post the relay clicked over.

wtf is going on here? what simple thing am i overlooking?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Bad relay... Try a new one...

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
:whs:

for now you can cross the 2 big wires for a minute or how ever long you need to with a screw driver....

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Its not a bad gp relay if it worked as soon as you grounded out a post. Sounds like you have a ground problem.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts
The PCM grounds one of the small posts when it calls for the GPs to come on. That in turns make the relay work and sends power to the GPs. You may have a bad PCM or maybe even a bad wire

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Have to remember the pcm turns on grounds to activate switches and sensors, thats how it know whether something is working or not. If it turns on a ground to activate a switch and there is no return it throws a code, if al it did was turn on power, all it would know is it set power to the switch. Most all systems work off 5 volts, then it just applys a ground to work things. Pretty simple :)

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well turns out some PO was crafty and cut the grounding wire that goes to the solenoid further down the harness then butt connected (for what reason idk) and it came loose. Now i have power to my glow plugs again , you guys think that starting the truck a handful of times could have killed my glowplugs already? PO said they were new when i bought the truck and now it has been a year. The truck is hard starting although i do has a very poor HPOP and a new one on the way so thats most likely the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help attempts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,331 Posts
No. Having the GPs inop will NOT shorten their lifespan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was completely wrong. No power to my glow plugs but power on all the other 3 posts. Good ground. Now what? Gp control module bad? When I turn the key now I hear a growl noise from drivers fender

·
super tuner
164 Posts
fuel pump i would imagine, mine makes the same noise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ughhhh dammit! i posted in super duty section , someone please move this to the obs section. im really batting a 1000 lately

1 - 12 of 12 Posts