Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently found two or three of my glow plugs had no connectors on them. I got under the hood and put some new ones on about two weeks ago and got all the plugs working again. All was well till yesterday when I went out to crank the truck after it sat about 5 days. The glow plugs came on, heated up, WTS light went out, then the controller did not click on and off several times as usual. It just stayed on till about 10 seconds after the engine fired an finally clicked off and my volt gauge came up from near nothing.

Is this a bad controller or do I have something shorted out somewhere?

·
Administrator
8,630 Posts
depending on the outside temp, mine will either afterglow solid, or afterglow cycle.
so what you saw in not a big deal if it started and then they shut off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesent cycle the five or six times after the WTS light goes out. It stays on and puts a hella pull on my electrical system for at least 10 seconds. It stayed on quite a while the last time I started it today. I know how it's supposed to work. This is not it lol... I just don't want my year old motorcraft GPs to burn up...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tjctransport, just reread your post... You have a solid afterglow sometimes... Ok.. I've just never seen my truck do this...

Mine is doing this even when shut off hot and restarted immediately... Yours do that too?

·
Administrator
8,630 Posts
no. on my 88 the glow plugs are shut off when the engine gets hot by as temp sensor. i thing they shut off when engine temps hit 120 degrees.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm just goin to have to dig into it over the weekend. I imagine something in the timer has smoked itself... If it comes down to it I'll put a temporary toggle on it to interrupt the circuit so I can cut it off if it hangs up too long. If I had to venture a wild guess I would say the relay is sticking. The timer circuit is obviously working. I'm guessing it was just coincidence that it happened after I fixed the glow plug harness...

·
Administrator
8,630 Posts
it very well could be a sticking relay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad that post made sense. It was pretty late and I tend to argue with myself while typing on the verge of sleep lol.

Anyhow it's freezing cold out so I'm gonna let the truck have a break till it gets warmer so I can work on it.

·
Administrator
8,630 Posts
i would also check that the temp senders are working properly.
if i remember correctly, the glow plugs are on the same temp sensor as the fast idle and timing advance under the alternator.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That relay is just a regular starter relay right? I just need to make sure I get one with both little terminals on it. I'm sure the parts store is going to want me to buy a whole new unit and I know better than that lol.

·
Administrator
8,630 Posts
no a starter relay will not keep up with the current demands of the GP system an d burn out in a short time.
a starter may draw 100 amps for 4-5 seconds.
glow plugs draw 200+ amps for up to 45 seconds

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a glow plug relay off eBay. Was about double the price of a standard starter relay and about double the weight lol.

Anyhow it didn't solve my issue. It's the timer screwing up. I'm gonna convert it to a push button. It's easier that way and it will cost me nothing lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts