Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to stay under $1500, has to get 30+ mpg. Been seeing some odball diesel like a Mazda 626, and a Mitsubishi pu. I've been looking for Mercedes D's but half of them are busted. I remember Dave saying something about a guy getting 40mpg from a ranger? Any other reliable makes to look at? And ultimately which will be better?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
tough one there, $1500 and 30mpg, the reliable bet would be honda civic or 4cyl accord. some 2wd reg cab 4cyl short box manual trans rangers could maybe pull 30 with an average driver, maybe.

·
DD Assisted
500 Posts
I can get 40+ mpg all day in my diesel Ranger. Got 52 mpg for my best mileage.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been kicking a thought around all day, the best mileage I ever got from a truck was with a 6.5td. And I never did all I considered to improve it. I can pick up a clean 87 6.2 1/2 ton for less than my budget, maybe I should look into it.

·
DD Assisted
500 Posts
How reliable is it, is that the mazda diesel?
VERY reliable and SLOW and stated before, hence the reason for the awesome mileage and reliability I guess. Yes it is a Mazda/Perkins diesel. The Mazda's had 5 speeds and were a little more highway friendly, optional on the Rangers. My original engine went close to 900,000 miles. So I figure I'll be drivin mine for another 15+ years.:doh: The 85-88 Rangers had 5 speeds and turbos, but I've heard the reliability and mileage aren't there with Mitsubishi diesel. Good luck with your hunt.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VERY reliable and SLOW and stated before, hence the reason for the awesome mileage and reliability I guess. Yes it is a Mazda/Perkins diesel. The Mazda's had 5 speeds and were a little more highway friendly, optional on the Rangers. My original engine went close to 900,000 miles.:eek: Holy Toledo!!!!! So I figure I'll be drivin mine for another 15+ years.:doh: The 85-88 Rangers had 5 speeds and turbos, but I've heard the reliability and mileage aren't there with Mitsubishi diesel. Good luck with your hunt.
I'm building a 95' 1/2 ton swb 7.3 psd 5spd, it will have either 3.08 or 2.73 gears. I will try both and see what works. :ford:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I daily drive a '90 jetta 1.9L TD 5 speed. Its in around 40mpg and tuned up the IP some, puts a tiny bit bigger turbo on it. it hauls ass right now. I'm just on the border line of pushing through the stock clutch. I can't juice it up anymore currently until I upgrade the clutch. but no matter is tons of fun to drive.

I run WMO in it. usually cut with diesel in summer. but I might start testing a lower % of RUG in my WMO. see how that goes. it almost doesn't matter what the actual MPG is, because the fuel is mostly FREE anyways.

at the same time I did the k24 turbo, I did a mandrel 2 1/2" down tube and 2 1/2" straight pipe right to the back.

·
1,097 Posts
Keep us up to date with your projectr, joedaddy. Sounds interesting.

You may have to drop down an axle size to get a 3.08 or 2.73 gear. They don't make 'em anymore for Sterling 10.25" axles.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep us up to date with your projectr, joedaddy. Sounds interesting.

You may have to drop down an axle size to get a 3.08 or 2.73 gear. They don't make 'em anymore for Sterling 10.25" axles.
Prolly be a 8.8, I don't think anything like a 2.73 came in a PU but the 8.8 R&P from a stang should fit. I got it started for the first time in over 6 years today! :ford:

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a 6.5 td that got mid 30's on the interstate once. It usually averaged 25+ daily. 3.42 and 4L80E. I want to say it was 1600RPM at 70mph. This with 31's and a curb weight of 5k should hit that # with some tweeks maybe 30????

·
<<< Dewey
312 Posts
If you wanted 3.07s I would look for axles out of 89-91 Dodge Cummins. The autos came with 3.07s

·
Registered
430 Posts
ah I see you decided on a vehicle. I didn't see that before I posted the jetta.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you wanted 3.07s I would look for axles out of 89-91 Dodge Cummins. The autos came with 3.07s
You're thinking 3/4ton this will be a 8.8 1/2ton with f150 running gear and suspension.
ah I see you decided on a vehicle. I didn't see that before I posted the jetta.
No probs bro!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Here is a good gas car. MY friend drives it like a Ferrari and still gets 42 MPG.

I guess I got a problem with my 97 accord it averages 24.5 MPG. Also last night when I went to start it. It just free spun like it had no compresion then put the pedal to the floor and it started.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i have a 92 toyota p/u 2wd 4cyl gas 5spd that is all stock w/ 250k plus(still riding on the original clutch:D) miles and it gets 26mpg.it will get a little better but i need to do some maintenance on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts