Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my donaldson filter should be here tuesday......no i know the outlet is 4" so i have rubber 4"-4" coating.....perhaps i shouldnt have bought that? and instead bought a 4"-3"????

I want to get rid of that stupid metal ccv, (hence the other ccv mod post) and the stock intake tube (the red section aft of the ccv tube) is wearing out so i really just want to take my intake tube all the way into the turbo....how do i do that since the inlet on the turbo is lower than where the filter sits? I really want to make a clean looking, durable install done right and dont want a million hose clamps, reducers, and boots in there either. so basically, to make that bappen...What do i buy? finding larger diameter aluminzed piping is hard to find 22* or 45* bends with long enough legs for this.....

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
ok so my donaldson filter should be here tuesday......no i know the outlet is 4" so i have rubber 4"-4" coating.....perhaps i shouldnt have bought that? and instead bought a 4"-3"????

I want to get rid of that stupid metal ccv, (hence the other ccv mod post) and the stock intake tube (the red section aft of the ccv tube) is wearing out so i really just want to take my intake tube all the way into the turbo....how do i do that since the inlet on the turbo is lower than where the filter sits? I really want to make a clean looking, durable install done right and dont want a million hose clamps, reducers, and boots in there either. so basically, to make that bappen...What do i buy? finding larger diameter aluminzed piping is hard to find 22* or 45* bends with long enough legs for this.....
Unless someone knows of anything that can get you down to the inlet size on the turbo from the 4". Your best bet is the kit from ford that updates/upgrades to the black inlet hose and the plastic crank case breather inlet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if i did a 3" dia. 22* bend steel intake tube connected to the turbo inlet, then a 3"-4" reduction boot, then some straight 4" and boot to the outlet on the filter? could that work?

whats the part number for the black inlet hose?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
what if i did a 3" dia. 22* bend steel intake tube connected to the turbo inlet, then a 3"-4" reduction boot, then some straight 4" and boot to the outlet on the filter? could that work?

Don't have the part number for the kit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help and links guys, so does anyone have pics of an intake that goes all the way to the turbo? oh and again, what does everybody think of the set up i mentioned in my last post?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts

honestly there is no point to do all that, just keep everything for the turbo stock. then get a 45* piece of 4" exhaust pipe and run it to your filter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol no reason at all? what about clean installation quality? smoother airflow? lol

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
By getting rid of the aluminum housing above the ccv, you aren't going to gain airflow really or look any cleaner. You can only fit so much air into the turbo anyway that even if you ran 4" to the turbo inlet, you still have to bring it down to 3" I have a Tymar kit and it looks very clean and it still uses the aluminum housing.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By getting rid of the aluminum housing above the ccv, you aren't going to gain airflow really or look any cleaner. You can only fit so much air into the turbo anyway that even if you ran 4" to the turbo inlet, you still have to bring it down to 3" I have a Tymar kit and it looks very clean and it still uses the aluminum housing.
well i know im not gonna get MORE air but....ugh i just hate that stupid ccv thing!

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The Ford part number for the black hose replacement kit for the original orange hose is F81Z-9C681-A. This replaces the orange hose, the aluminum piece, clamps, hardware and has two replacement brackets for the black plastic replacement for the aluminum piece. Maybe now about $120.

The part number for the black hose alone is F81Z-9C68-BA. The part number used to come with two clamps but the last one I bought did not come with the clamps. The black hose adapts from the turbo inlet to the replacement plastic section(for the aluminum piece) which ends in a 4" opening.

You can just cut a short section of 4" exhaust pipe to mate from the black hose to the 4" inlet pipe of a Tymar intake. You can make a bracket to mount the section of exhaust pipe to the factory mount, its a 50* mounting angle.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Since I don't know how to post pictures directly, I added some pictures to my signature of the factory black hose kit, homemade adaptor and Tymar.

The black hose kit is a little more efficient than the original setup with Tymar, at least my G-meter showed a quicker 0-60 time using it. The Black hose setup also fits the AirFlow intake as well.

Pardon the dirt and the leaves, the truck has been sitting for a while for me to get a Round Toit to install a rebuilt engine....;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
whatever you do, do not get a k&n or some s%&* like it. bad news. use the 6637 filter. you wont regret it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
whatever you do, do not get a k&n or some s%&* like it. bad news. use the 6637 filter. you wont regret it.
He already ordered the Donaldson filter. same as the 6637 but waterproof.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey thanks yall!!!!!!!!!!!! this helped alot! and yes my donaldson should be here tomorrow

1 - 20 of 24 Posts