Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
State trooper pulled me over this morning for my recon taillights. I didn't realize these things were illegal? I didn't wan't to argue with him but did tell him that I thought they were DOT approved. I really think he was a little blurry (although not admittedly) on the legality of these things too. That's when he decided to go back to his car and get the tent meter.

I didn't get a ticket for the lights but I did get one for my tint. 3% in the front and 1% in the rear... who knew :smirk:

·
Administrator
32,962 Posts
I hate dark taillights on vehicles specially after driving through a fog bank on the freeway yesterday ,, I wonder if you got rear ended and you were running those if you could be liable??

I would have thought the Recons were DOT also but that would cost them $$ and they would probably not Meet the standards anyway

it would be cool if MFG's could only sell DOT approved lighting IMHO
all these vehicles with the super bright headlight coming at you kinda sucks

Yes I drove 11 hrs yesterday 6-11AM then 6-12 pm so I am experienced lol

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
the recons ARE DOT approved! that cop is an idiot. look on the taillight there will be a DOT stamp.

Chad

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Was it a fixit ticket? Fight it. On the other hand just pay the tint ticket for the windows as it is cheaper than redoing them

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine came with a paper stating they were DOT approved, as well as being stamped on the light it self.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
I guy back home got pulled over for them too. I got pulled over too but I had tinted mine. Needless to say My truck is back to stock. Not gonna risk getting pulled over form them at a bad time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate dark taillights on vehicles specially after driving through a fog bank on the freeway yesterday ,, I wonder if you got rear ended and you were running those if you could be liable??
l
Being in SE Florida I never encounter the kind of fog your talking about. I have always thought that the LED tails are much brighter then OEM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have your lights on before he pulled you over?
No, it was 8am this morning.

Was it a fixit ticket? Fight it. On the other hand just pay the tint ticket for the windows as it is cheaper than redoing them
He just gave me a ticket for the tint, $116. I have always tinted my trucks this way and this is my first ticket. I'm just paying it.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
According to a cop bud of mine any non factory lighting can be ticketed and that includes HID headlights, BUT it is up to the officer that pulls you over to give a warning or a ticket. My bud gives warnings unless the driver is pulled over for doing something real stupid, then he will give a ticket for every little thing he can think of.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This is exactly what i did a couple times. Just plead guilty, pay the fine whatever it is and keep the tint. I've passed the same cop multiple times that has given me a tint ticket and hasn't pulled me over again for it. Must been that time of the month where he needed to fill his ticket quota.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
What bothers me is alot of cops have dark windows. I could understand the cops point of view of tinted windows and i do believe we should have a tint law to an extent. If a citizen has tinted windows and fails to let them down as soon as getting pulled over, then they should be ticketed, but if they are courteous enough to let them down, then they should be legal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What bothers me is alot of cops have dark windows. I could understand the cops point of view of tinted windows and i do believe we should have a tint law to an extent. If a citizen has tinted windows and fails to let them down as soon as getting pulled over, then they should be ticketed, but if they are courteous enough to let them down, then they should be legal.
Yea, I put my windows down as soon as his pulled behind me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A few things. Depending on the laws where you live, it may not matter if the Recon taillights are DOT approved, they may still be against the state law or a local ordinance. With that being said, the Recon smoked taillights are WAY brighter than the stock lights which is nice.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Anybody ever get an obstruction of vision ticket? Just got one. Cop was a huge dick and pissed at me. Non waivable so the tints stayin on but its a 2 point ticket

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
State trooper pulled me over this morning for my recon taillights. I didn't realize these things were illegal? I didn't wan't to argue with him but did tell him that I thought they were DOT approved. I really think he was a little blurry (although not admittedly) on the legality of these things too. That's when he decided to go back to his car and get the tent meter.

I didn't get a ticket for the lights but I did get one for my tint. 3% in the front and 1% in the rear... who knew :smirk:
If you live in Texas the law changed september 1st. if it comes red or amber, it stays red or amber....sucks, but true.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
No, it was 8am this morning.

He just gave me a ticket for the tint, $116. I have always tinted my trucks this way and this is my first ticket. I'm just paying it.
That is why you got pulled over. Turn them on. When they are off they look dark, if you had them on he would never of noticed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes sir

1 - 20 of 23 Posts