Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to be changing the oil and thermostat pretty soon and i have a few quick questions,
first how much if any coolant do i have to drain out so it doesnt pour down the front of the block when i take the gooseneck off?
second, the coolant is pretty fresh still i can put it back in after i drain it out?
and finally, im changing from rotella to delvac when i do the oil so i figured it would be a good idea to drain the hpop resivoir.. how do i do that?
thanks guys

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You should drain about a gallon out of the radiator. You will still have some that will run down the engine though. It is impossible to prevent any from spilling. If the coolant you drain is clean then yes you can put it back in. There is a plug with a 3/16" allen head in the top of the resevoir. You have to pull the plug and use a suction tool to drain the resevoir.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Yes you can reuse the coolant but make sure you catch it into something clean. I think i drained a little more than a gallon when i did my stat. but ya you will leak some so i would just have a hose ready and dont let your dog outside.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for tha quick replies i ascually got it finished up around an hour ago. i catched it in a clean bucket and poured it back in, i didnt hardly loose any at all,
also on a side note advanced auto has motorcraft fuel filters for only $20 sire beats the $36 from the dealer

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so this morning i went down to walmart and got my oil, stopped at dunkin donuts and when i got home the temp gauge in the dash was all the way into the red, popped the hood and the top radiator hose wasnt even as hot as my coffee. so im gonna go with the fact that the gauge crapped out. i no there not a terribly relaible source but id like it to work or would i just be wasting my time and money. down the road am going to get a set of aftermarket gauges but i want something to hold me over to then
also the sending unit was replaced less than 5k ago

·
Registered
797 Posts
Are you sure you're not still air-locked? Did you squeeze the top hose thoroughly to see if there's air in it or water?

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i squeezed it and ie was pretty hard it didnt seem to be air locked i could also hear the water being pushed through when i did

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what could i do to make sure its not airlocked. i drove it some more and it did the same thing but this time the upper hose isnt as hard.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Hose is only going to be hard when the stat opens up and coolant starts flowing through the system. Sure you put it in right? Not upside down?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't have any sure-fire ways, I massaged the heck out of the top hose and kept topping it off with the radiator cap off and th engine running.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its definatley in right, spring side down, so i should take the rad cap off squeeze the hose and that will pull the fluid in then top it off as necessary?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts