Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 70 mph or so, I get an annoying vibration sound coming from under the truck. From everything and everyone I've talked to we have come to the conclusion that it is from the carrier bearing. I have a DR 4.5" lift and in the back I have 5" plush rides w/ a 1" block (sits a little ass high for towing). I don't have any shims in and have had the lift now for about 2 years. The noise started about a year ago and up until about 2 months ago didn't get any worse. Now it's gotten louder and is annoying the crap out of me. Figured i would pick y'all heads since y'all are the experts. I know it's kinda hard to diagnose over the internet, but was hoping maybe y'all have seen/heard it before.

Thanks in advance.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything feels tight. I'm guess I'll take the entire driveshaft off and take it to a driveshaft place to be checked. If the carrier us bad I'm gonna put a OUO on it.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, i took the driveshaft in and had it checked. The carrier bearing was pretty good, made a little noise though. Had the entire driveshaft rebuilt... IT STILL MAKING THE DAMN NOISE!!!

I'm going to check and see if anything is rubbing on anything metal to metal, but from what i've done so far i haven't found anything.

Have you guys ever heard or had an issue where a noise starts at higher mph, around 65-70+??

·
Crazy *******
867 Posts
Check your rear leaf spring center pin bolts. I had one that was broken and caused the axle to move just enough to get that type of vibration. I would also shim the carrier bearing 1/2 to 3/4" just to eliminate any future problems.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Normally high speed vibration means the carrier bearing is to low.

It could be numerous things, just have to start taking things apart and check them.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Normally high speed vibration means the carrier bearing is to low.

It could be numerous things, just have to start taking things apart and check them.
i know it's not cause the carrier bearing is too low... it still in the stock position :hehe:

i still have no clue what it is. I've just been checking this, tightening that, and making sure nothing is rubbing on anything... so far no luck solving the mysterious sound :doh:

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
I know this thread is kinda dead but I was wondering if you ever found out the noise?

The reason I'm asking is because I have developed a strange noise in my 2005 as well. I have a 4" Superlift on it, the basic kit with the blocks in the rear and Bilstein shocks. I have seemed to have developed a weird noise that to me, sounds like it is coming from the driver's side front wheel well. It's like a metal on metal sound, kinda like a grinding and ting-ing noise (don't laugh, it's hard as hell to describe noises over the internet lol). It is noticeable at low speeds both with the wheels straight or turned.

I thought it might be something with my brakes because my ABS light keeps coming on and off but they are fine. I checked to make sure there are no clearance issues and there seems to be none that I can see. One thing that I have noticed is the truck has started to ride alittle more rough, more bouncy than before and there is a slight wobble/vibration at speeds starting at 45mph and going to around 60mph. Dealership suggested I replace the steering stabilizer, so I had them do that but it's still there.

I'm a complete and utter noob when it comes to suspension work but I was kinda hoping to bring this thread back to life alittle and see what yall think it might be. The truck has 90K on it with the lift/shocks having right around 40K. Could the shocks be going out? Would a steering stabilizer kit help me? Because right now I have no clue and it's starting to drive me alittle nutty with how sloppy the suspension/steering seems to be.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope, no solution. Had the driveshaft redon and balanced and new carrier bearing put on........ still there. One of these day's i'm going to figure it out though........... well maybe. :doh:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
have you checked the wheels, axle bearings. also check the rear bearing in the transfer case as well.
i had a dodge that did that at 70 or so then go away about 75 it was the tires.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you checked the wheels, axle bearings. also check the rear bearing in the transfer case as well.
i had a dodge that did that at 70 or so then go away about 75 it was the tires.
Those are next on my list. For now i'm riding around in a company truck for the next 7 months so it isn't high on my priority. That and the truck is 4 states away from me right now. LOL

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Those are next on my list. For now i'm riding around in a company truck for the next 7 months so it isn't high on my priority. That and the truck is 4 states away from me right now. LOL
it would be kinda hard to work on it then

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Thanks for the update. I guess I'll just drop it off at the alignment shop and have them go over it. I don't have the time to try and track it down.

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the update. I guess I'll just drop it off at the alignment shop and have them go over it. I don't have the time to try and track it down.
Yea, my plan is to drop it off with a shop that is by me that does a lot of driveline work and hopefully they can help me out. I'm tired of chasing my tail on it. Might even get some gears and front locker installed as well. :evil

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Yea, my plan is to drop it off with a shop that is by me that does a lot of driveline work and hopefully they can help me out. I'm tired of chasing my tail on it. Might even get some gears and front locker installed as well. :evil
Haha you were reading my mind LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem but mine just turned out to be the carrier bearing being bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts