Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle has rode in my innovative tuned 6.0 liter and he now wants me to look into getting a chip for his 7.3. It is a 2000 that just rolled over to 100,000 miles and has been bone stock all its life. Would a six position chip tuned by wildman be a good choice. does his tunes have good transmission tuning. What are other little mods that can keep help it running good. Besides intake and exhaust. Sorry for all the questions but I am a 6 liter guy and I know very little about 7.3s. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There are alot of good tuners around. Read around in the 7.3 section there are quite a bit of reviews of tuners. I personally run Swamps and am very happy with there tuning.

·
R.I.P PSN
1,146 Posts
im getting diesel innovations, got a good deal, but id recommend wildman, php, gearhead, and swamps. IMO i wouldnt want to go with DP but since his truck has the forged rods i dont think he would have a problem. also a Valve body might be good for the trans, as with a 6.0 tranny cooler. another important mod is gauges. a good intake would be the DIY intake, its more than enough.

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Definitely Matt @ Gearhead Automotive. Very easy to talk to, very helpful, and very good tunes!:ford:

·
Twitch
1,383 Posts
Not saying tony wildman is the best tuner out there...but from what I have rode in and what Ive seen, He has the 7.3 tuning down to a fine art. Most of my buddies in my local power stroke group have his tuning on their 7.3s and 6.0s and they all run great. A good custom burned chip, a 6637 intake and an open 4" exhaust along with some gauges would make it run great while not destroying it at the same time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Im am looking into ordering a beans chip myself because there tunes are dyno proven. There chips are a little more expensive but well worth it from what i have heard. They run less timing than others from what iv heard which is safer for the motor.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We have both TW tunes and Cales..along with everything else you'll need. PM if we can help.

Cary

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
My uncle has rode in my innovative tuned 6.0 liter and he now wants me to look into getting a chip for his 7.3. It is a 2000 that just rolled over to 100,000 miles and has been bone stock all its life. Would a six position chip tuned by wildman be a good choice. does his tunes have good transmission tuning. What are other little mods that can keep help it running good. Besides intake and exhaust. Sorry for all the questions but I am a 6 liter guy and I know very little about 7.3s. Thanks in advance
Since you live in Yukon, OK you should check when Tony is gonna be at the drag strip in Noble, OK (Thunder Valley) - pretty close to you. He usually goes a couple of times a year along with Jon Faubion and a bunch of folks from NTxPSA. Be a great opportunity to get the chip done on the spot and and have Tony go on a test drive with you to make sure it's set up the way you want. Jon Faubion is a diesel Master Tech and a tranny guru at Charles Allen Ford in Chickasha - great guy who has taught and helped me a ton with modding my PSD. In addition to being an excellent powerstroke mechanic, he runs one fast 1/4 mile with his Mustang! I sure do miss living closer to folks like him & Tony.

Untitled_0084.flv video by richter69_album - Photobucket

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
any tuner that uses a TS style chip gets my vote.
:whs:

But I would lean toward Tony also. His tunes are in my truck will stay in there. Sonnax valve and tricumalator springs from DI in the tranny will help a lot with the shifting.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Another opinion, I have a dp and like it really well. A valve body from John Wood or BTS will help the trans live longer. Put guages in it first. Intake & exhaust and your off to a good start.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
My vote goes to beans , dyno proven, good safty record on poped blocks, great cust service etcc....but there is no best one , all do awesome work, and stand by it.

Worth a note people like stealth, itp, and obs wiz
Carry the same chips w the same tunes, but may also carry other goodies like gauges intakes etc...package price discounts may be possible so call around. Matt, di and bean can do the same prob others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts