Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
You make this tool for less then $10.00 from parts at Home Depot or Lowes. Mine is sitting on my shelve waiting for when I need it.

Michael

·
Registered
279 Posts
humdinger what did you use to make it. I have not seen the tool to copy it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is what I was told to make and it make sense to me, If I have to grinde down a little for fit wise then that's what I'll do when I do mine.

http://powerstrokenation.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=722&cat=500

I didn't come up with this, I email someone and this is what I got in my email:

The seals can be installed by hand with the proper tool. A press isn't necessary. A 12" long 1-1/4" pipe nipple with a cap screwed on one end and a flange on the other will easily install the seal that goes just ouboard of the u-joint. That's the toughest seal to do. You'll need to whack on the end of the tool with a medium hammer to drive the seal into place.

IMO, R&R'ing ball joint in the knuckles is the hardest part. You need to have the right adapters for the ball joint press. I have an OTC ball joint press and needed to make a couple of extra rings to get the job done. A 2" long piece of 2" schedule 40 pipe, another 1" long piece, and a 3" long section of 2" ID driveline tubing will do the trick.

Hope this helps guys?

Hey Greg what happened to your truck? It says in the AVATAR that your truck is broke? I met you up at Bandimere this past summer with Pocket.

Michael

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Thanks Michael, John and I might try that when we do ball joints on either of our trucks.

Unless he already bought the other one :poke:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Michael, John and I might try that when we do ball joints on either of our trucks.

Unless he already bought the other one :poke:
Glad to help, I hate to see someone spend to much for something.

Michael

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I hear you. I'm one to beat it in with a block of wood and a mallet, but there is a lot to be said for having the proper tools :D

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you. I'm one to beat it in with a block of wood and a mallet, but there is a lot to be said for having the proper tools :D
From what I've read (no personal experience, though), that seal is REALLY easy to jack up if you don't use a proper driver, even if that driver is homemade out of plumbing parts from Lowe's. At ~$30 or so apiece (Ford-specific item you can't buy from Autozone), screwing up those seals would be an expensive whoopsie...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with you both! But as long as you take your time this can be the right tool and save you from having to buy another seal.;)

Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts